Releasing Chapters as Updates?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
WarieLym
Projects: Unnamed Dark Fantasy

Releasing Chapters as Updates?

#1 Post by WarieLym »

I'm working on a demo for a potential VN with a few friends right now, and our ideal mode of publishing it would be to release monthly chapters to keep people interested.
That said, we're working with Tyranobuilder and none of us have any real programming experience.
Our main question is, when updates are released (be it on the App Store, Steam, or Itch.io), will users lose their progress, or stored variables, and if so is there a way around that? :?:

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Your Royal Gayness, Love Bug, Lovingly Evil
Organization: Lizard Hazard Games
Tumblr: lizardhazardgames
itch: aviala

Re: Releasing Chapters as Updates?

#2 Post by Aviala »

For me it's been an issue that people's saves have broken when I have released major updates to Your Royal Gayness. It may partially be because didn't initially know I had to use the default statement to define variables, but even after I added the default statements to every variable I had been using some people's saves still got corrupted.

So yeah, if you define everything properly at the beginning and when you release an update you might be fine? I think the bigger the update, the riskier it is. But I don't actually understand how it works so maybe someone knows more on the technical side. Just wanted to share my experiences.