And so it begins... (dundundun)

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
bookie
Veteran

And so it begins... (dundundun)

#1 Post by bookie »

I should be asleep right now, but instead I'm messing with this damn program. I knew I should have cleaned my room instead!

*ahem* anyway, I thought it would be a good idea to make a new thread for this project since it's sort of taking over Resources, and that way I can both jot down what I'm finding out and anyone else who's working on this thing can learn from each other. If this program's really fun I might write something formal up in HTML and upload it to my site, but since I'm a fickle person I thought something like this might be more useful for now.

Starting a New project - .... I don't know how. I tried desperately to make something new but it just didn't work, but there was some component that I was missing, so I couldn't do anything. T_T I'll have to do some strategic copy pasting from the demo to an empty folder to see if there's anything in particular the program's looking for.

So, instead of something new, I made a copy of the demo, opened it, and mutilated it.

The first thing you see when you open a project is Senario - School (シナリオ - 学校) And a flowchart window called chart scene1(blah) (チャート シン1(blah))

The chart is scary, so I'm just going to concentrate on the green scene window for now. XD

If you're using the demo game like I am the scene window should look like this.

For all inserted items, double click to change choices.
First item is obviously the background image.

Next is サウンド(??): Sound Effect.That effect is Gakko no Cyaimu. School Bells. I'll translate filenames later...maybe.

ウエイト: Wait time. The three variables are [amount of wait] [do clicks bypas] If the second value is 1, the user can click past wait time. If it's zero, user must wait.

Another Scene Change, More waiting, and then the dialauge appears.

After the emote graphic theres "message box (kanji)". This creates the message box it seems. I don't know what the variable alters though.

The next "sound" option I don't know either. Could be fade out.

"Wait 1000"

This サウンド(??) is the background music. The difference is in the options. The second option, effect(?) type ((??) タイプ) sets up whether or not effects repeat. Choose second option to repeat (リピート), First option for a one time effect.

Now it's time to get cracking with the text! The program recognizes roman characters, thank god, so you English works!

I haven't figured out what option starts a new line, but I figured out a bunch of other stuff so I'll stop there. questions comment complements and complains are welcome.

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#2 Post by Megaman Z »

...and from google's translation I quote...
When we would like to start a new paragraph intend, using the entering [blue down arrow box] key, please insert. In addition, when the form feed we would like to do intend, while pushing the CTRL key, the entering key [page symbol] please insert pushing.
that should answer the new line thing
(I know it doesn't make a lot of sense from the grammatical errors, but right now, until WE (bookie, me, and anyone else contributing) get an english how-to up, your best is to do the same thing as me and try using google to translate the text, click on the fourth squared item (tutorials) on the left menu, work from there, and contribute to this effort.)

the first one to figure out exactly what is needed to start a new project and where to put it gets a cookie. a chocolate chip cookie(I got an I/O 123 error on the sample script... and some file is giving me an error or something when I hit F6 (which I assume is run game... it brings up the game window, after all... followed by some sort of debug window.). this is going to take a lot of effort)
~Kitsune Zeta

bookie
Veteran

#3 Post by bookie »

Okay, that makes sense. If you enter you get a little blue arrow pointing down. This is like a carrage return. What I was looking for was the way to get the user to click to the new line, so I get ctrl+enter would do that. I'll test when I get back from school.

PixelWrangler
Regular

#4 Post by PixelWrangler »

Megaman Z wrote:the first one to figure out exactly what is needed to start a new project and where to put it gets a cookie. a chocolate chip cookie(I got an I/O 123 error on the sample script... and some file is giving me an error or something when I hit F6 (which I assume is run game... it brings up the game window, after all... followed by some sort of debug window.). this is going to take a lot of effort)
Creating a new project (プロジェクトの準備)

First, create a folder for your project. (The folder can be anywhere, just remember where it is)

Once your folder is created, start LiveMaker.

ファイル --> プロジェクトの新規作成 (File --> Create New Project)

フォルダの参照 (Select Folder)
Select the folder you created for the project, then click OK

雛形の選択 (Select Style)
Select a style for the project, click OK

If successful, a 新規チャート (New Chart) tab is displayed in a chart window, with one 開始 (Start) in the tab.

Next, do the minimum setup for a project.

プロジェクト (Project) --> オプション (Option)
The option dialog will appear.

タイトル (Title) is displayed on the game window's title bar. Type in a name for your game.

識別コード (Identification Code)
A picture (icon?) cannot be displayed unless this is entered correctly. This code should be exactly the same as the code set up by the configuration of GraphicsGale.

That's all you need to do for now, so click OK.

---

The preceding is taken from http://www.livemaker.net/pro/tutorial/tutorial02.html, a tutorial on the LiveMaker site. This and other tutorials can be viewed at http://www.livemaker.net/pro/tutorial/index.html.

The one element that is a bit enigmatic is the GraphicsGale code. GraphicsGale appears to be an icon-editing tool, so it may be neccessary to create an icon in GraphicsGale, then link to it in LiveMaker using the code given. However, not having used either of these progams, I can't say for certain. A link to GraphicsGale can be found from the LiveMaker site.

Hope this helps. Ganbatte!

P.W.
Life is hard.
Except in ren'ai games.
Then it's a whole lot softer.

bookie
Veteran

#5 Post by bookie »

The problem I'm having is that there aren't any styles to choose from, I basically know how to start the thing otherwise. I'm going to try to steal the style from the demo game right now. XD

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Megaman Z »

now I know what the problem is... the same as bookie... here's your cookie, anyway.
*hands PixelWrangler a chocolate chip cookie 1 inch in diameter* (hey, I never said how big it was gonna be! :twisted: )
~Kitsune Zeta

PixelWrangler
Regular

#7 Post by PixelWrangler »

bookie wrote:The problem I'm having is that there aren't any styles to choose from, I basically know how to start the thing otherwise. I'm going to try to steal the style from the demo game right now. XD
Just a thought... this could somehow tie in with the GraphicsGale software... but once again, I really can't say for certain.
MegaMan Z wrote:now I know what the problem is... the same as bookie... here's your cookie, anyway.
*hands PixelWrangler a chocolate chip cookie 1 inch in diameter* (hey, I never said how big it was gonna be! ) :twisted:
Nah, that's okay - you keep it. Helping is its own reward, and it has no calories! :wink:

Side note: for viewing the tutorials, try using http://www.eigo-navi.com. It can show the Japanese text and the English translation at the same time, making menus and such a lot easier to follow. Just enter the URL in the space provided, and select the second option (日本語>英語) (Japanese > English).

Ganbatte!

P.W.
Life is hard.
Except in ren'ai games.

bookie
Veteran

#8 Post by bookie »

The bite sized ones are pretty good!

It's easier if you open the demo game and play with that anyway. You learn a lot more just by looking at how everything's been setup.

The Ctrl+enter worked!
Moving style files around didn't. X[

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Megaman Z »

PW>>no, I insist, take the cookie!

bookie>>I'm trying to get it to work... I'll look at it some more later... (waiting for my english teacher to update her grades, ****it! if it weren't for that, I'd be doing a heck of a lot more...) as far as the style files, I think the other download on the download page for the "usual edition" has something to do with it, but I can't really make heads or tails of it...
~Kitsune Zeta

bookie
Veteran

#10 Post by bookie »

Mega, That second download did it. The ADV Type1 Download, installed into the LiveNovel folder extracts a folder with a whole bunch of files which seem to be what the program was looking for. Now I can start from scratch.

But I'm still stealing the files from the demo. XD

Pixel, Eigo-navi is awsome! Thank you soo much for that tool.

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Megaman Z »

I had a gut feeling that had something to do with it, considering the tutorial said you need that file (using google's translation). I'll look at it later.
~Kitsune Zeta

PixelWrangler
Regular

#12 Post by PixelWrangler »

Megaman Z wrote:PW>>no, I insist, take the cookie!
Okay, fine. I'll give it to my web browser... one more certainly can't hurt... :wink:
bookie wrote:Pixel, Eigo-navi is awsome! Thank you soo much for that tool.
どういたしまして (douitashimashite)... You're welcome. :)

I'm really glad that you're getting good use out of eigo-navi. I recently discovered it myself, and I now use it regularly for translation in place of Babelfish.

As someone with a little bit of knowledge of the Japanese language, I can tell you that eigo-navi is also a fair bit more accurate than Babelfish, especially when it comes to translating colloquialisms and kanji compounds in context.

Ganbatte yo! (go for it!)

P.W.
Life is hard.
Except in ren'ai games.

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Megaman Z »

PW (I'm too lazy to type the full name -MMZ) wrote:Okay, fine. I'll give it to my web browser
and if you didn't take it, I'd have said "Take the bookie now, ****it!", and then bookie'd be all confused probably.

now that my english teacher FINALLY UPDATED THE ONLINE GRADEBOOK, I'm less stressed on english work and more RAM is available for this.
~Kitsune Zeta

PixelWrangler
Regular

#14 Post by PixelWrangler »

Megaman Z wrote:
PW (I'm too lazy to type the full name -MMZ) wrote:Okay, fine. I'll give it to my web browser
Image™ - The incredible type-saving button!

Too lazy to type a full name? Suffering from Idonwannatypitis? Then you need the incredible, time-saving Image™!

- SEE Image™ instantly create a window with text from a previous post!
- SEE Image™ include the full name just above the text from a previous post!
- SEE Image™ used way too many times in this post!

Don't delay! Use Image™ today!

Warning: "Submit" button required to use Image™. Please use Image™ responsibility. People who do not wish to use wording from a previous post, or who wish to only use their own words should not use Image™. Do not get Image™ wet, and do not feed Image™ after midnight. Consult a physician before clicking Image™ hundreds of times in a row, as excessive clicking of Image™ may result in Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Broken Mouse Syndrome, or Whythehedoublehockeysticksareyoudoingthatitis. Image™ is not affiliated in any way with "quoth", "The Raven", Edgar Allen Poe, or Santa Claus. Especially not Santa Claus. Image is not a part of your complete breakfast. This advertisement for Image™ is a joke, and should be taken as such. ©2005 Image™, All Rights Ridiculous.

P.Image™W.
Life is hard.
Except in ren'ai games.

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Megaman Z »

PixelWrangler wrote:
Megaman Z wrote:
Image™ - The incredible type-saving button!

Too lazy to type a full name? Suffering from Idonwannatypitis? Then you need the incredible, time-saving Image™!

- SEE Image™ instantly create a window with text from a previous post!
- SEE Image™ include the full name just above the text from a previous post!
- SEE Image™ used way too many times in this post!

Don't delay! Use Image™ today!

Warning: "Submit" button required to use Image™. Please use Image™ responsibility. People who do not wish to use wording from a previous post, or who wish to only use their own words should not use Image™. Do not get Image™ wet, and do not feed Image™ after midnight. Consult a physician before clicking Image™ hundreds of times in a row, as excessive clicking of Image™ may result in Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Broken Mouse Syndrome, or Whythehedoublehockeysticksareyoudoingthatitis. Image™ is not affiliated in any way with "quoth", "The Raven", Edgar Allen Poe, or Santa Claus. Especially not Santa Claus. Image is not a part of your complete breakfast. This advertisement for Image™ is a joke, and should be taken as such. ©2005 Image™, All Rights Ridiculous.

P.Image™W.
(waking up from sick bay due to laughing too damn hard and getting a nosebleed and passing out) okay... now I have to find something to top this... ah, yes, here we go...
presenting the new and improved Image™ button. magically remove all those Image™ images from your post.
the makers of Image™ is not in any way affiliated with the makers of Image™.
see Image™ change your post!
see Image™ allow me to add random stuff to my posts
Gorram it. I clicked Image™ instead of Image™ again.

My bad. (-PyTom, actual user of Image™)
and (possibly) see Blue lemma use Image™ on both my post and PW's post just to prevent server load :lol:

please note that neither Lemmasoft.net nor Renai.us can be held responsible for you (mis-)use of Image™. follow the instructions given to you by your doctor. failure to do so will result in Image™'s warrenty being void. excessive use of Image™ will make you look real stupid. so don't use Image™ unless you have to.

also from the same company: the magic Image™! see your really dumb post go bye-bye with Image™!

yes, there is more fine print bull$*!+ for Image™. consult your doctor or admin for proper instructions on how to use Image™. there is no money-back garuntee and there is a $5000.00 penalty for not using Image™ at least once in your lifetime. there is a $6000.00 cost tag applied to each use of Image™. excessive use of Image™ can result in amnesia and seeing Image™ in your dreams and nightmares. this forum post will selfdestruct the instant somebody other than Megaman Z tries to edit it. go ahead and use Image™ for all your deleting needs.
*wonders if we should have a section for random chat and advertising jokes like this...*
Last edited by Megaman Z on Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Kitsune Zeta