Help? Art for a Non-Artist

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Primeumaton

Help? Art for a Non-Artist

#1 Post by Primeumaton »

Please excuse this ignorant question as I am only just stepping into this world. Also please feel free to move this or tell me where you think it should go if this does not suit. This is not Ren'Py specific, although Ren'Py is the platform I will be using.

Anyway, my question is this: I have zero artistic ability to create something from scratch. However, I have persistence and can recognize good art. Is it possible to get some premade 3d model and then use that with some premade poses or easily altered into poses?
Basically if I can just focus on moving/altering something that exists I think I can figure out a way to make a game with a good story (as writing is my skillset). I am just unsure if this is possible and if so how to get to that point.

I got as far as downloading DAZ and looking at some assets before wondering what to do.

Any help is appreciated.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Help? Art for a Non-Artist

#2 Post by fleet »

I can't draw and am not inclined to learn, but I still make visual novels using 3D images made with DAZ software.
Before considering the 3D art option, keep two things in mind.
1. It takes an investment of time to learn how to use 3D art programs to the point where the rendered images look decent.
2. Many people won't play any visual novel that uses 3D art.

You can use third party art programs such as GIMP, paint.net and photoshop to filter 3D images so they look like hand-drawn.
There are lots of free drawn sprites and backgrounds that you can use.
You can make a post in the recruiting threads asking for a free artist.

Whatever decision you make on art I hope you enjoy making your visual novel.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Primeumaton

#3 Post by Primeumaton »

Thanks for the reply. Seems this question was dumber than I thought though as Daz has a guided tour that answers a lot of what I was wondering.

I am attracted to Daz because it doesn't require artistic skill to use. However I am open to suggestions for other programs that also do not requires that skill as well. I simply am unaware of them.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#4 Post by trooper6 »

I'd like to counter that DAZ does require artistic skill. It may not be drawing with a pencil but there is a big difference between really well done 3D art and poorly done 3D art. I've seen some terrible DAZ art...then I've been blown away by some amazing 3D art. It'll take some time and practice I'm sure.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978