How to format editing samples?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
IronForPistons
Regular
Projects: Panzer Hearts (Editor), Picture Perfect Romance (Editor), Children of Cosmos (Editor)
Organization: Crystal Compass

How to format editing samples?

#1 Post by IronForPistons »

Hi all. As an editor, I've seen a few postings in the Recruitment section that ask for samples of editing work. I'm a little lost as to the best way to format one of these samples. For instance, is it best to make two columns, and have the original on one side and edited version on the other? To use Google Docs and show the changes with suggestions? I'd like to get some input from fellow editors (what have you used in the past?) and project directors (what is useful to you in your decision-making process?).

Also, perhaps this is a separate question, but while we're on the topic: Couldn't one theoretically add mistakes to the original draft to make it seem like they caught more mistakes than they actually did? Is there a way to prevent this/prove that one hasn't done it?

Thanks for your input!
Feel free to call me Iron!

Interested in editing or proofreading services? I do both, for free or trade!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: How to format editing samples?

#2 Post by Zelan »

Typically, when asked for editing samples, I provide links to the released games which I've worked on. That way, the potential recruiter can play the game for themself to check whether it looks like I did a good job, or, if they don't have time or don't have money to purchase the game (if it's commercial), they can contact the game's creator and ask about their experience working with me.

IronForPistons
Regular
Projects: Panzer Hearts (Editor), Picture Perfect Romance (Editor), Children of Cosmos (Editor)
Organization: Crystal Compass

#3 Post by IronForPistons »

Zelan wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:20 am Typically, when asked for editing samples, I provide links to the released games which I've worked on. That way, the potential recruiter can play the game for themself to check whether it looks like I did a good job, or, if they don't have time or don't have money to purchase the game (if it's commercial), they can contact the game's creator and ask about their experience working with me.
Thanks for your input, Zelan! I appreciate it.
Feel free to call me Iron!

Interested in editing or proofreading services? I do both, for free or trade!

Mutive
Veteran
Completed: Eidolon, Minion!, Love Furever, Epilogue

#4 Post by Mutive »

I would probably redline a document.

If I was going to hire an editor, I'd want some sense as to what feedback was provided. (i.e. did they just catch 1-2 errors because otherwise the script was great? Did they make substantiative edits or just proof reading? Are their edits helpful or just strange? Would their feedback be helpful to me in improving something?
Enjoy Eidolon, my free to play game at: https://mutive.itch.io/eidolon, Minion! at: https://mutive.itch.io/minion or Epilogue at: https://mutive.itch.io/epilogue