adventure game mechanics in VNs

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pinewood Island, As We Know It
Projects: In Blood
Organization: Jaime Scribbles Games
Deviantart: breakfastdoodles
itch: scribbles

adventure game mechanics in VNs

#1 Post by Scribbles »

Are there any visual novel / adventure games out there? I wanna check them out and peek at their mechanics. I imagine putting a few adventure game mechanics into renpy is possible, but I just wonder if it's been done and wanted to see the end result.
Image - Image -Image

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: adventure game mechanics in VNs

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

I'm unsure what you mean by adventure game?
Do you mean like an RPG with VN intermissions, or a game with a map where you choose where to go, changing the story with your choices, or perhaps something else?
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

#3 Post by philat »

Hmm. As Imperf3kt suggests, the question is rather broad. I'm also unsure if you're looking for Ren'py games specifically or not.

If by "adventure game" you mean the traditional Myst/LucasArts type of games, with an emphasis on exploration of environments and puzzles, I would guess the most well-known examples of VN/adventure game hybrids would be the 999/Zero Escape series, the Danganronpa series, and the Phoenix Wright series. Maybe Professor Layton too. But as you can see from the games I mentioned, there's a very broad possible spectrum on how a VN/adventure hybrid would play - more VN, more adventure game, puzzles that are traditional 'find the environment/item interaction' vs. pure puzzles vs. whodunnit mystery/trials, etc.

I've made a couple of "room escape" games with Ren'py, involving point-and-click investigation, gathering items, drag/dropping items on backgrounds to interact (for example, dragging a key to a locked drawer to open it), etc. They're fan games and not in English, so I can't share them here, but suffice it to say it's quite doable. There are a few examples in the cookbook showing point-and-click mechanics if you're interested in learning more.

morinoir
Regular
itch: blackpepper

#4 Post by morinoir »

I remember the old 'Tokimeki Memorial 2' has a little bit of exploring element if that's what you're looking for.

'Number Days Dating Sims' by Pacthesis also has similar exploring element. The game is such a gold honestly.
and here's the youtube link in case you want to see how it works : https://youtu.be/TTBoi8T0RHc

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Scribbles »

Imperf3kt wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:40 pm I'm unsure what you mean by adventure game?
Do you mean like an RPG with VN intermissions, or a game with a map where you choose where to go, changing the story with your choices, or perhaps something else?
philat wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:35 am Hmm. As Imperf3kt suggests, the question is rather broad. I'm also unsure if you're looking for Ren'py games specifically or not.

If by "adventure game" you mean the traditional Myst/LucasArts type of games, with an emphasis on exploration of environments and puzzles, I would guess the most well-known examples of VN/adventure game hybrids would be the 999/Zero Escape series, the Danganronpa series, and the Phoenix Wright series. Maybe Professor Layton too. But as you can see from the games I mentioned, there's a very broad possible spectrum on how a VN/adventure hybrid would play - more VN, more adventure game, puzzles that are traditional 'find the environment/item interaction' vs. pure puzzles vs. whodunnit mystery/trials, etc.

I've made a couple of "room escape" games with Ren'py, involving point-and-click investigation, gathering items, drag/dropping items on backgrounds to interact (for example, dragging a key to a locked drawer to open it), etc. They're fan games and not in English, so I can't share them here, but suffice it to say it's quite doable. There are a few examples in the cookbook showing point-and-click mechanics if you're interested in learning more.
Sorry I didn't realize it seemed so broad, but I meant the traditional point&click style games like you mentioned (King's Quest/The Last Door), mainly explore/solve puzzles/inventory kinda deal. I just loved those old games (esp the King's quest series) and thought it might be fun to combine them with a VN style.

morinoir wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:27 am I remember the old 'Tokimeki Memorial 2' has a little bit of exploring element if that's what you're looking for.

'Number Days Dating Sims' by Pacthesis also has similar exploring element. The game is such a gold honestly.
and here's the youtube link in case you want to see how it works : https://youtu.be/TTBoi8T0RHc
Thank you I'll check those out!
Image - Image -Image

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by philat »

Unrelatedly, you should check out Unavowed, the latest Wadjet Eye game. It's been getting great reviews (I'm only in the first hour or so so I can't say for certain what I think) and is a pretty old-school-ish adventure game. May give you some further inspiration.

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Scribbles »

philat wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:25 am Unrelatedly, you should check out Unavowed, the latest Wadjet Eye game. It's been getting great reviews (I'm only in the first hour or so so I can't say for certain what I think) and is a pretty old-school-ish adventure game. May give you some further inspiration.
ooh thank you I'll check it out!
Image - Image -Image

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#8 Post by Imperf3kt »

Although not exactly what you're looking for, nor even really, a VN, I personally think Love Hina Sim Date should give you a few ideas... maybe.
I dunno. I remember I used to like it way back when it first came out. It may be more entertaining if you've read the Love Hina LN or Manga
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/144166
note: WEBSITE contains NSFW content

You can safely ignore the content warning on the game itself. I'm not even sure why thats there. The swearing, maybe?
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

ChroniclerOfLegends
Regular
Projects: Scifi Non-Linear Visual Novel/Arcade/Adventure game. (No name yet)

#9 Post by ChroniclerOfLegends »

The awesome thing about Renpy and the ability to use custom python code, is that it can be used to do almost anything.
You have to know what you are doing programming, but the possibilities are nearly limitless.

I am working on a demo for a game now that uses Renpy as its base, but you would call it more an action/adventure game with VN elements.
You would be surprised how far you can stretch Renpy using custom python code.

ChroniclerOfLegends
Regular
Projects: Scifi Non-Linear Visual Novel/Arcade/Adventure game. (No name yet)

#10 Post by ChroniclerOfLegends »

A good example of a different genre game made with Renpy would be the Sunrider series.
Not really adventure games in that you can explore, but it does show you can create even something like a deep strategy game using Renpy as the framework.

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Scribbles »

ChroniclerOfLegends wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:38 pm The awesome thing about Renpy and the ability to use custom python code, is that it can be used to do almost anything.
You have to know what you are doing programming, but the possibilities are nearly limitless.

I am working on a demo for a game now that uses Renpy as its base, but you would call it more an action/adventure game with VN elements.
You would be surprised how far you can stretch Renpy using custom python code.
I'll have to try to play around with it and see what I can get working! I am not the best at code, but i'm always trying to get better at it.

Thanks for all the suggestions, i'm adding them to a list so I can check them out lol
Image - Image -Image

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#12 Post by papillon »

Fatal Hearts, though not RenPy, was designed as an adventure/VN combo. I joke that 999 ripped me off :)

(I mean, it's probably all coincidence, but the mix of adventure game puzzles with VN branching so that different routes had different puzzles as well as different endings, plus the fact that we both used gas masks and black hooded robes.... The plots are totally different of course.)

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Scribbles »

papillon wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:35 pm Fatal Hearts, though not RenPy, was designed as an adventure/VN combo. I joke that 999 ripped me off :)

(I mean, it's probably all coincidence, but the mix of adventure game puzzles with VN branching so that different routes had different puzzles as well as different endings, plus the fact that we both used gas masks and black hooded robes.... The plots are totally different of course.)
oh no! I'll check that out too thanks
Image - Image -Image