Combining Rendered and 2D Assets?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
ChroniclerOfLegends
Regular
Projects: Scifi Non-Linear Visual Novel/Arcade/Adventure game. (No name yet)

Combining Rendered and 2D Assets?

#1 Post by ChroniclerOfLegends »

A more stylistic question,

As a developer and as a visual novel player, how do you feel about certain art assets being rendered, when most of the game is 2D hand drawn images?
I know when you are making a VN for fun its kind of anything goes, but what about for a commercial release?

I am making a science fiction VN where quite a few scenes take place in space and I want to show both the players and others ships.
While I CAN draw space ships, I am not too good at it, and it takes forever. However due to previous modelling experience I can whip out a spaceship in Blender in a day or two usually. This also has the added benefit of being able to quickly output different angles rather than have to redraw the entire image.

I personally feel like it shouldn't look out of place given the context, but I wanted to get other opinions.

All of the other game assets are standard 2D anime-style art.

If anybody has any good OR bad examples of this being done, feel free to share. I would like to see them.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

Re: Combining Rendered and 2D Assets?

#2 Post by Donmai »

Have you ever played Sunrider?
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

ChroniclerOfLegends
Regular
Projects: Scifi Non-Linear Visual Novel/Arcade/Adventure game. (No name yet)

#3 Post by ChroniclerOfLegends »

I have started it yes, and I do like its rendered spaceships a lot.

That being said, that was my own personal opinion. It is also the only example I found on my own, so I was curious what others thought.

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Your Royal Gayness, Love Bug, Lovingly Evil
Organization: Lizard Hazard Games
Tumblr: lizardhazardgames
itch: aviala

#4 Post by Aviala »

This is just a guess, but I think people would be more accepting of 3D assets if they match the other art of the game at least to an extent. So maybe slap a "hand drawn" filter on top of the 3D spaceships or something :')

Also, 3D backgrounds are way easier to accept than 3D character models in a 2D game (it can work but I've rarely seen it look good).