Renpy generated keys or Google Play generated keys?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

Renpy generated keys or Google Play generated keys?

#1 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

So I am in the process of uploading a new game to Google Play and I accidentally clicked on Google App signing (which I have since messaged them about). I had read about this before, but clicking on that button is enough to make me weigh the pros and cons again. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? I’ve tried a few google searches but haven’t come up with much. As it stands my Renpy generated keys for my other games are a bit of a mess as I didn’t always copy keys between Renpy versions of different games.

What do you recommend and why?

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Metasepia Games
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
itch: qirien
Discord: qirien

Re: Renpy generated keys or Google Play generated keys?

#2 Post by qirien »

Best practice is to have a unique key for yourself, use it for all your games and keep it secure and consistent! That's hard to do after the fact, though...

If you don't keep your keys around, you cannot update your games on Google Play - you have to post a new one each time, which looks like spamming and confuses users and loses all your reviews, etc.

Was that your question?
Finished games: