Help me name my game

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Cinnamoncianna

Help me name my game

#1 Post by Cinnamoncianna »

I was planning on writing a game revolving around a d&d group. Actions you choose in the game influences your relationship with their real life counterparts. It would keep swapping from the perspectives of real life and their dnd game.
It’s still a really basic idea but I was hoping someone could help me think of a project name, thanks!
Over and out,
Locklin :D

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Help me name my game

#2 Post by Zelan »

Hmm, what's the tone of the game? Is it a lighthearted, comedic game, or is it more serious? If it's the former, a punny sort of title could be a good choice.

Also, if the game focuses on D&D, maybe the title could allude to that? How about Connections & Consequences?

Mutive
Veteran
Completed: Eidolon, Minion!, Love Furever, Epilogue

#3 Post by Mutive »

I keep thinking punny, too. Like, "Roll of the Dice" or "Critical Hits" or something equally terrible. But for something serious, you'd probably want to avoid that. :)
Enjoy Eidolon, my free to play game at: https://mutive.itch.io/eidolon, Minion! at: https://mutive.itch.io/minion or Epilogue at: https://mutive.itch.io/epilogue

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#4 Post by Zelan »

Mutive wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:01 pm I keep thinking punny, too. Like, "Roll of the Dice" or "Critical Hits" or something equally terrible. But for something serious, you'd probably want to avoid that. :)
I like both of these, and actually "Critical Hits" could potentially work well for a game with a more serious tone.

alphawolf

#5 Post by alphawolf »

dates with destiny
damned by the dice
or
damned by destiny
dates with the dice

driven by/to desire/destiny.

desires downfall
destinys downfall.

destiny & desire

the d & d theme would be the way id go i think.
...ciao

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#6 Post by Gear »

Playing off mechanics could be a good way to go.

Saving Throw
Attack of Opportunity
No Skill Points (if it's a 3.5 game, 5e got rid of those...)
Proficiency Bonus (if it's 5e, and not 3.5)

Maybe item or spell names like

Bag of Holding
Portable Hole (that sounds suggestive, doesn't it...?)
The Magic Missiles

I don't know much about the plot so I can't say what would or wouldn't work, but using an important mechanic from D&D will help draw interested parties to your game.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#7 Post by Imperf3kt »

Personally, I think you should at least write your first draft before trying to come up with a name.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#8 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Imperf3kt wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:02 pm Personally, I think you should at least write your first draft before trying to come up with a name.
I've got to agree. You won't know the true themes of your story until you've completed at least one draft of it first.

Plus, I think that too often things like this - thinking up the perfect name for your game - is just an exercise in procrastination to avoid buckling-down and starting everything.

Use a code name or working name and just get through the first or even second draft before deciding what the ultimate title will be. You know, a lot of authors don't get to name their finished books? That's done by the editor and publisher based on what they think will attract attention and generate sales.

My personal method for naming things I'm working on is as follows [Subject] [Mood/Genre] [Game]. So for instance "Space Horror Game". Boom. Descriptive and fine for labeling files and folders until something is finalized towards the end. So in your case, name that document file "D&D Friends Game Draft 1" and write. By the time you are on draft two, a perfect title will have presented itself from within the writing itself.

Piplupcrazygirl
Projects: None planned atm
Tumblr: pocchan-art
Deviantart: Piplupcrazygirl
Soundcloud: Pocchan

#9 Post by Piplupcrazygirl »

I think you should at least create a summary of your game first~ it's hard to come up with something if we don't know the details ^^
Piplup is besto ❤️

KnightsP, UndeadP, and RyuseitaiP

JBShields
Regular
Projects: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=47586
Organization: First Step Cinematics

#10 Post by JBShields »

I don't know if this name has been taken, but how about "Dating & Dragons" ?