Question about crowdfunding

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Red-Baby
Veteran
Completed: Free!: Arabian Nights, BAKED:MAGIC, I'm a love interest in my CHILDHOOD FRIEND'S reverse harem!!!, I'm a side character in a BL story!, Ell's Kitchen
Projects: Wrong Number
Organization: WitPOP
itch: red-baby

Question about crowdfunding

#1 Post by Red-Baby »

Hi everyone!

I have some projects that I am working on and I'm considering using kickstarter or indiegogo to do some crowdfunding so I can pay back the amazing people on my team.

The thing is I want to release the games for free (or at least as pay-what-you-want on itch.io). The people I am working with are basically volunteering their time to work on these projects at the moment (save the occasional commission here and there).

So would the games be considered commercial because I'm trying to get funding or would they still be considered non-commercial?

And would people even be keen to back a project knowing that when it's released they won't need to pay for it anyway?

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

Re: Question about crowdfunding

#2 Post by parttimestorier »

Hi Red! I'm not sure about the question of whether they'd be considered commercial, but I've seen other VNs get successfully funded while planning to release the final product for free. Lake of Voices is a recent (and really good) one, and I know I've seen a few others as well. So while it might be a little harder to convince people to spend their money backing a free game, it's definitely possible if you have appealing backer rewards and make a good pitch that people really want to support.
ImageImageImage

Red-Baby
Veteran
Completed: Free!: Arabian Nights, BAKED:MAGIC, I'm a love interest in my CHILDHOOD FRIEND'S reverse harem!!!, I'm a side character in a BL story!, Ell's Kitchen
Projects: Wrong Number
Organization: WitPOP
itch: red-baby

Re: Question about crowdfunding

#3 Post by Red-Baby »

parttimestorier wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:48 am Hi Red! I'm not sure about the question of whether they'd be considered commercial, but I've seen other VNs get successfully funded while planning to release the final product for free. Lake of Voices is a recent (and really good) one, and I know I've seen a few others as well. So while it might be a little harder to convince people to spend their money backing a free game, it's definitely possible if you have appealing backer rewards and make a good pitch that people really want to support.
Thanks for the info! I'll check out lake of voices an other free games to get an idea of what would be some good rewards. It's reassuring to know that it's still a possibility and not just a pipedream.