Average word count for a VN with mini games?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
thirstyoctopus
Regular
Projects: Romance Visual Novel story
Organization: Thirsty Octopus

Average word count for a VN with mini games?

#1 Post by thirstyoctopus »

So, I'm done writing my first Visual Novel and currently just putting it all together in Ren'py. I recently did a word count (although it's not exact based on the fact my written script includes some scene description and direction for myself so I've cut it down to what it said) and it's just over 7,000 words. However my game does include various mini-games such as a memory card style game, hidden object, little quizzes and it also includes quite a bit of player interaction in order to etch a path towards getting a specific girl out of the three involved in the story.

I haven't been able to test it all the way through as I'm still coding, but do people think that this is an acceptable word count? Or too short? In theory, the game will have multiple play-ability so the user can decide to go for a different girl to attain additional achievements.

I'd appreciate people's thoughts on this, so I can try and extend it with additional scenes if necessary.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Average word count for a VN with mini games?

#2 Post by Zelan »

I don't think there's really such a thing as a game being "too short" as long as the whole story has been told - I've player plenty of games that were 5000 words or less, and in fact my first game was only a little over 1000 words.

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Your Royal Gayness, Love Bug, Lovingly Evil
Organization: Lizard Hazard Games
Tumblr: lizardhazardgames
itch: aviala

#3 Post by Aviala »

If you want to go commercial, people will complain if the game takes a short time to complete. If the minigames add playtime, then 7000 words sounds like it could be enough, but if it's really fast to complete the minigames you'll have a lot of angry gamers asking for refunds.

I don't think games should be judged by their length but a lot of gamers don't see it that way. Many people think playtime = value, which is ok to an extent - for example it would feel unfair to pay 20 euros for a 10 minute game. But the reality is that customers will complain a lot if your game is shorter than like.. an hour or two? and they will complain even if it's 3 or 4 hours long (or more) but at least there won't be a huge outcry. :'D

If you're not making a commercial game, I think you should go for the best experience your game can provide. Making a game longer doesn't usually make it better.

thirstyoctopus
Regular
Projects: Romance Visual Novel story
Organization: Thirsty Octopus

#4 Post by thirstyoctopus »

Aviala wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:50 pm If you want to go commercial, people will complain if the game takes a short time to complete. If the minigames add playtime, then 7000 words sounds like it could be enough, but if it's really fast to complete the minigames you'll have a lot of angry gamers asking for refunds.

I don't think games should be judged by their length but a lot of gamers don't see it that way. Many people think playtime = value, which is ok to an extent - for example it would feel unfair to pay 20 euros for a 10 minute game. But the reality is that customers will complain a lot if your game is shorter than like.. an hour or two? and they will complain even if it's 3 or 4 hours long (or more) but at least there won't be a huge outcry. :'D

If you're not making a commercial game, I think you should go for the best experience your game can provide. Making a game longer doesn't usually make it better.
Thanks for your thoughts on this. Actually, it's my first game so I wouldn't sell it, just give it away for free. I'm hoping the mini-games will hold player's interest, plus it will be more interactive than most games I've played, there are different outcomes based on your actions and choices. Plus it will be fully voiced so I hope that will help the enjoyment.

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Your Royal Gayness, Love Bug, Lovingly Evil
Organization: Lizard Hazard Games
Tumblr: lizardhazardgames
itch: aviala

#5 Post by Aviala »

If it's a free game, then you should just make decisions based on what you think will make the game better. You don't need to worry about sales or angry customers, so it doesn't matter if the game is short. Sounds like you have a lot of interesting features and even full voice acting? Wow, that's pretty impressive. I don't think you should worry too much.

nerupuff
Veteran

#6 Post by nerupuff »

I think that if you have mini-games and other parts of your VN that consume time other than the story itself, word count shouldn't matter too much unless it's really, really short. Word counts don't exactly reflect how good a VN is, in general. Long or short, if the story is presented well, there shouldn't be too much complaints. Besides, as long as you have fun making your game, I'm sure you'll hit the right market as well when you release it! Good luck!
ImageImage
Hire me for proofreading, editing, and (maybe) writing! ♡ Check here!

Reading_Steiner

#7 Post by Reading_Steiner »

If you want to sell the game, make sure that the game lasts at least a couple hours, 8-10 would be great if we're doing all endings. It's short, but still has enough content so that you really get into it! Since you'll be having mini games, you don't need 8-10 hours of reading, so it will be easier for you.
Just don't calculate the length of your VN in words, but in reading/gameplay hours, and in doubt, it's better to have a short-ish VN that's gripping from the first to last line than a longer one that drags on and that feels empty from time to time.