Good things about Otome games?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
KouhaiChan
Regular
Projects: He Heard Me
Deviantart: KouhaiChan1
Soundcloud: KouhaiChan

Good things about Otome games?

#1 Post by KouhaiChan »

Quick questions guys. I wanna make a otome game myself because ive played alot of otomes and i can draw, program, and mix music. I want to first gather information about what makes a good otome game in your opinion. :)
Here are my questions:

1. What do you like in an otome game (the strongest eye-catcher of the game) if you had to choose one? Is it art? Story? Something else? :|

2. What do you think is an attractive behavior/habit/personality/etc. That guys can have? :wink:

3. What would you look for in an otome game (some idea that you would think is new and innovative such as racial diversity, realistic characters, gripping story, specific genre, etc.) ? 8)

4.(if you want to mention something else)

Thanks for taking the time to look/reply at this post! :D

Akua
Regular
Completed: Appetité Amor
Projects: A Frigid Space | Lycoris | Demon's Kiss | Night of the Lesbian Vampires
Organization: Demon's Decoy
Tumblr: akuakourin
Deviantart: AkuaKourin
itch: akua-kourin

Re: Good things about Otome games?

#2 Post by Akua »

1. The biggest point I love it is of course the romance or else I wouldn't call it an Otome. Art is also a good asset to present your characters and the visuals but it won't save a horrible story or writing. You have to balance that the art looks decent but not crappy to a good story and many won't be bothered by the art if the story is A+

2. Many have different interest in personality and traits so if you want to cover up all you will have a hard time meeting everyone's expectation. Personally I like the cute types like Yoosung from Mystic Messenger or mature and gentlemanly. I also have a preference for longer hair and red eyes.

3. Diversity and unique characters sound like a strong point but VN and Otome players like to have customizable MC (predetermined is better than eyeless though) and choices that actually do an impact on the story. The stereotype and clichés are getting annoying for many and you should probably take turns which surprise readers in a good way. The romance should be the main focus since it's an Otome unless you change your mind and make it a VN with romanceable options. So don't stray too much from the romance into some mystery mess when it isn't connected to the romance. No rushed development but gradually build up relationships and how the world around the character evolves with her. And yes, no whiny or dumb MC, meaning make her have common sense and reasons why she has traits like antisocial behavior or is always afraid. On the topic genre you will see lots Slice of Life but it isn't necessary, write what you are most comfortable with, there is an audience for almost anything.

4. If you want you can join the Otome Development Discord Server, there are devs for Otome and people of job variation who are willing to help you with your one person project. They will give you feedback and critics, tips on how to do it better be it art, writing, coding or music. You can find them on Twitter, they have a green chibi icon and the discord link should be in the description.

CSV
Regular
Tumblr: csvidaldraws
Deviantart: csvidal
itch: csvidal

#3 Post by CSV »

Alright, so we always need more otome games - even though I already have like 20 in my backlog right now OTL - so I want to contribute to your research! I want to stop myself from writing an entire essay, though, so I'll just answer this based on personal opinions and preferences.

1. The first and strongest eye-catcher for me is always the art. If I don't like how the love interests look, I probably won't look too much into that specific game; conversely, I have played some games with less interesting stories just because I liked the art and wanted to collect the CGs or something. This doesn't mean the art needs to be 100% professional and commercial quality, though; I am fine with cutesy and/or simpler art if it suits the feel of the game, or if it is an interesting art style.
Art assets aside, characters come immediately after in my eye-catching rankings. It's an otome game, it's focused on romance or has romance elements, so I want love interests that are actually loveable and a MC that I like playing as. Remember: great characters can make do with a mediocre story, but the opposite doesn't happen.

2. My weakness is the love interest who is kind, shy, and innocent, and sadly those don't make it into otome games too often (or they are a shota character, NOPE NOPE NOPE). Undying loyalty is also a top attractive quality, as long as the pitfall of making loyalty into stalking is avoided.

3. We seriously need more games where the MC can protect the cute bishie instead of the other way around. Or at least games where the MC isn't helpless and looking for protection and/or guidance herself, and where her biggest fault isn't being too nice, naive, clueless. Let the MC be the snarky character or the selfish character or the lazy one.
Genre games are also really interesting, particularly fantasy and sci-fi. It doesn't even need to have a complex plot or a ton of worldbuilding, sometimes I am happy with just a more original setting!
Unpopular opinion, possibly: I see a lot of games recently that are trying to push for the 'everyone is beautiful' concept by having characters that are diverse in terms on not being conventionally attractive, and I am not a fan. Obviously, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so 'conventionally attractive' has many variations, and you should absolutely respect people whether you find them beautiful or not, but overall, I don't think otome games are the place for this agenda. Otome characters are not real people, and I do like them being beautiful. Good-looking love interests are a plus for a game.

4. I like fluff; even if it's an otome game with a 'darker' or more 'serious' feel to it, I still want cute fluffy moments. I think a lot of creators are somewhat ditching the adorableness right now, but I can guarantee you can place it in any story if you know how. And games that have little plot and are based around sweet moments are underrated.
☆☆☆
(portfolio)
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

KouhaiChan
Regular

#4 Post by KouhaiChan »

Akua wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:51 am 1. The biggest point I love it is of course the romance or else I wouldn't call it an Otome. Art is also a good asset to present your characters and the visuals but it won't save a horrible story or writing. You have to balance that the art looks decent but not crappy to a good story and many won't be bothered by the art if the story is A+

2. Many have different interest in personality and traits so if you want to cover up all you will have a hard time meeting everyone's expectation. Personally I like the cute types like Yoosung from Mystic Messenger or mature and gentlemanly. I also have a preference for longer hair and red eyes.

3. Diversity and unique characters sound like a strong point but VN and Otome players like to have customizable MC (predetermined is better than eyeless though) and choices that actually do an impact on the story. The stereotype and clichés are getting annoying for many and you should probably take turns which surprise readers in a good way. The romance should be the main focus since it's an Otome unless you change your mind and make it a VN with romanceable options. So don't stray too much from the romance into some mystery mess when it isn't connected to the romance. No rushed development but gradually build up relationships and how the world around the character evolves with her. And yes, no whiny or dumb MC, meaning make her have common sense and reasons why she has traits like antisocial behavior or is always afraid. On the topic genre you will see lots Slice of Life but it isn't necessary, write what you are most comfortable with, there is an audience for almost anything.

4. If you want you can join the Otome Development Discord Server, there are devs for Otome and people of job variation who are willing to help you with your one person project. They will give you feedback and critics, tips on how to do it better be it art, writing, coding or music. You can find them on Twitter, they have a green chibi icon and the discord link should be in the description.
Wow thank you for your feedback! I will definitely check that discord and twitter as well!

KouhaiChan
Regular

#5 Post by KouhaiChan »

CSV wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:23 am Alright, so we always need more otome games - even though I already have like 20 in my backlog right now OTL - so I want to contribute to your research! I want to stop myself from writing an entire essay, though, so I'll just answer this based on personal opinions and preferences.

1. The first and strongest eye-catcher for me is always the art. If I don't like how the love interests look, I probably won't look too much into that specific game; conversely, I have played some games with less interesting stories just because I liked the art and wanted to collect the CGs or something. This doesn't mean the art needs to be 100% professional and commercial quality, though; I am fine with cutesy and/or simpler art if it suits the feel of the game, or if it is an interesting art style.
Art assets aside, characters come immediately after in my eye-catching rankings. It's an otome game, it's focused on romance or has romance elements, so I want love interests that are actually loveable and a MC that I like playing as. Remember: great characters can make do with a mediocre story, but the opposite doesn't happen.

2. My weakness is the love interest who is kind, shy, and innocent, and sadly those don't make it into otome games too often (or they are a shota character, NOPE NOPE NOPE). Undying loyalty is also a top attractive quality, as long as the pitfall of making loyalty into stalking is avoided.

3. We seriously need more games where the MC can protect the cute bishie instead of the other way around. Or at least games where the MC isn't helpless and looking for protection and/or guidance herself, and where her biggest fault isn't being too nice, naive, clueless. Let the MC be the snarky character or the selfish character or the lazy one.
Genre games are also really interesting, particularly fantasy and sci-fi. It doesn't even need to have a complex plot or a ton of worldbuilding, sometimes I am happy with just a more original setting!
Unpopular opinion, possibly: I see a lot of games recently that are trying to push for the 'everyone is beautiful' concept by having characters that are diverse in terms on not being conventionally attractive, and I am not a fan. Obviously, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so 'conventionally attractive' has many variations, and you should absolutely respect people whether you find them beautiful or not, but overall, I don't think otome games are the place for this agenda. Otome characters are not real people, and I do like them being beautiful. Good-looking love interests are a plus for a game.

4. I like fluff; even if it's an otome game with a 'darker' or more 'serious' feel to it, I still want cute fluffy moments. I think a lot of creators are somewhat ditching the adorableness right now, but I can guarantee you can place it in any story if you know how. And games that have little plot and are based around sweet moments are underrated.
I actually agree with basically all your points, even your "unpopular opinion". I already have a visual novel idea and i was going for the mc that does play a part in protecting her love interest but after some character development. I am also thinking of putting in a shota character as well, because i do read manga, and i really love innocent romances between younger boy and older girl such as Please Save My Earth (classic shota romance manga they also have a anime). Ill definitely come back to check on these posts again for reference. Thanks for your feedback!

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by gekiganwing »

KouhaiChan wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:25 am 1. What do you like in an otome game (the strongest eye-catcher of the game) if you had to choose one? Is it art? Story? Something else?
If the art conveys confidence and personality, that is a plus. If it’s a distinct style that stands out, that is also a plus.
KouhaiChan wrote: 3. What would you look for in an otome game (some idea that you would think is new and innovative such as racial diversity, realistic characters, gripping story, specific genre, etc.)
If you care about the characters and their plight, it will show.

External conflict can be interesting. Think about how to balance a love story with solving a mystery or fighting an enemy.

Strive to make characters more than familiar genre archetypes. Consider who they are on their own, or at work, or with friends and family. What do they want to achieve, and what is keeping them from achieving that goal?

KouhaiChan
Regular

#7 Post by KouhaiChan »

gekiganwing wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:57 pm
KouhaiChan wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:25 am 1. What do you like in an otome game (the strongest eye-catcher of the game) if you had to choose one? Is it art? Story? Something else?
If the art conveys confidence and personality, that is a plus. If it’s a distinct style that stands out, that is also a plus.
KouhaiChan wrote: 3. What would you look for in an otome game (some idea that you would think is new and innovative such as racial diversity, realistic characters, gripping story, specific genre, etc.)
If you care about the characters and their plight, it will show.

External conflict can be interesting. Think about how to balance a love story with solving a mystery or fighting an enemy.

Strive to make characters more than familiar genre archetypes. Consider who they are on their own, or at work, or with friends and family. What do they want to achieve, and what is keeping them from achieving that goal?
Definitely good things to think about. I think especially what you said last is really important for creating characters. Thank you for your feedback!

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#8 Post by trooper6 »

Things that will get me interested?

The author is making something that is completely them, rather than relying on what they think the audience wants. I want something new. Not a redo of the same old tropes that everyone says you have to do to be popular.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978