How does one usually work with a programmer?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
james0710

How does one usually work with a programmer?

#1 Post by james0710 »

So I am working on a game, a the moment its a one man team but I'm soon thinking of bringing on along a programmer to do the bulk if not all of the coding for the game. How does one usually work with them? Do I just give them all the files so that they can fix and add lines of code and when they're done, they send it back to me. Should I be paranoid about them stealing the game and claiming it as their own along with my art assets (which may be needed to properly test the game). Etc etc. I'm really new to all this obviously.

Re: How does one usually work with a programmer?

#2 Post by 1911 »

Make a dev blog or official site for your game where you share sneakpeak of the assets, gameplay, story and characters. It builds a fanbase who recognizes it is your project long before a new programmer comes along.

Keep PSD files of the art assets and only give the programmer PNG/JPG to put in the code.

If it's paid work, remember to make a written contract with both sides stating clearly the project's name, who supply what, terms of work and payment amount/method, communication expectation, duration until delivery, etc. and have them sign it. It protects the both of you.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: How does one usually work with a programmer?

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

Alternatively, take a look at the cookbook section of the forum, it has many great things you can add to your with minimal to no programming knowledge, kindly donated by many community members here.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter