Hide/Cypher the images resources (not .rpa)

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
arathron

Hide/Cypher the images resources (not .rpa)

#1 Post by arathron »

Hello,
I'm new to Ren'Py, and so far I'm loving it.

I would like to make an educative visual novel. To advance in the game, some math problems have to be solved in order to gain some passwords that are required to advance in the game.

To make the math problems I need math notation (for example the integral symbol), so I'm using latex, and exporting it in .png images that I show in the game.

To motivate the students to play the game, I would like to tell them in advance that the last problem in the game will actually be be in the exam.

But of course I don't want them to simply 'unzip' the game and search the last problem. I know I can archive the images in a .rpa file, but that isn't hiding them enough, and I will release the game at least for windows and android, and the android .apk doesn't seem to archive the images.

So I would like to cypher the .png, and of course the password would be somewhat in the python code that can be decompiled, but I think I can "camouflage" it enough that it would be easier for them to win the game than to hack it :wink:

But I don't see clearly how can I preprocess the image file, all the image functions I find in Ren'Py ask directly for the .jpg/.png filename and doesn't allow much processing with it other than moving it around.

I think I need some help to workaround this. Thanks in advance for any help!

arathron

Re: Hide/Cypher the images resources (not .rpa)

#2 Post by arathron »

I have found what I was searching for (cof cof im.Data :wink:)

I defined a function getImageData that returns an image with im.Data()
Now I have a different problem: I have a list of images I want to show depending on an index. This is the code I have

Code: Select all

define img1 = getImageData('img_1.png')
  define img2 = getImageData('img_2.png')
  define img3 = getImageData('img_3.png')

image img:
    choice(idx == 0):
      img1 
    choice(idx == 1):
      img2
    choice(idx == 2):
      img3
  idx = 2
  show img
It works. But it's ugly code, and I don't see how to make it look better.
I tried making a list imgs = [img1, img2, img3] but of course that didn't work.
How can one have a list of images?