$20 CAD to whoever can fix my corrupted RENPY file

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Excaloser

$20 CAD to whoever can fix my corrupted RENPY file

#1 Post by Excaloser »

I was working on a project and my computer crashed immediately after saving. Now all I get is [NULL] when i try to open the script. Have tried turning it into a notepad file to copypaste the script, and redownloading renpy. No dice. I don't want to lose all my work. Ive been doing this project for weeks. That's why if anyone can fix my script (there were 200+ lines i think?) I'll pay you. I've uploaded it to a dropbox and it has everything - the thumbs file bc that wouldn't upload. Cheers.

Update:
Copypasted from my reddit post
I restarted my computer right after saving my file and now all I get are null boxes. When i open the file in notepad i get either an empty box (script.rpy) or a garbled mess (script.rpy+some other letters). Is there anything I can do to salvage this? The game won't run whatsoever and I was almost finished (just needed to draw one more graphic) im on renpy 6.18.3 (updated to 7.1.3)

arty
Regular
Completed: White Monday
Projects: HATE is a 4 Letter Word
Organization: KATHARSIS ART
itch: artys-games

Re: $20 CAD to whoever can fix my corrupted RENPY file

#2 Post by arty »

I could take a look at it if you send me the link, from your description alone it could be a number of issues.

Also a little tip for the future: Split up your game into multiple script files and make local as well as online backups, so this can't be happen again.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

Re: $20 CAD to whoever can fix my corrupted RENPY file

#3 Post by Donmai »

If you are on Windows, press windows key+r. In the box, type %appdata% and hit enter. Find a folder named RenPy and open it to find a folder called backups. Inside the backups folder, you should find a folder with your project's name. There you will find backup copies of your scripts.

No need to pay me. You should give a contribution to PyTom, who created the automatic backup system.

If you are not a Windows user, you will find the location of the backups folder in options.rpy:

Code: Select all

## Save directory ##############################################################
##
## Controls the platform-specific place Ren'Py will place the save files for
## this game. The save files will be placed in:
##
## Windows: %APPDATA\RenPy\<config.save_directory>
##
## Macintosh: $HOME/Library/RenPy/<config.save_directory>
##
## Linux: $HOME/.renpy/<config.save_directory>
##
## This generally should not be changed, and if it is, should always be a
## literal string, not an expression.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)