Resuming your project after two years...

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Catlip Candy
Regular
Completed: Raven // Encanto
Projects: My Twisted Love Story (title susceptible to change)
Organization: Catlip Candy
Tumblr: catlipcandy
Deviantart: CatlipCandy
Soundcloud: Catlip Candy
itch: catlipcandy

Resuming your project after two years...

#1 Post by Catlip Candy »

Is anyone having the experience of picking up a project after two years? I made a topic in the Ideas forum back on 2016 and now I'm trying to bring it back to life. The problem is, I haven't done any work since 2016.

The project was too big; meaning I've made a lot of depths in the background story. Each character has a backstory too big to tell (or too dramatic). At first, I thought I'd make it a love story, but it'll end up becoming a drama, which I'm not really good at making because in my opinion, dramas are meant to make readers cry, feel emotions and the like (see how cringey my latest dramatic NaNoRenO VN this year).

So if you were me, would you rather change it to become a lighter and shorter visual novel (there'll be big changes, restarting the script, but at least it's lighter and shorter) or would you still try to continue with the script and everything else that you've already done?
All I ask from the readers is to give feedback on what they think I should improve more.
Even the harshest comments are welcomed and greatly appreciated, as long as it is your truthful opinion!
Please help me become a better visual novel creator!

~~~~~~ Catlip Candy ~~~~~~~

morinoir
Regular
itch: blackpepper

Re: Resuming your project after two years...

#2 Post by morinoir »

I also have to put my project on hiatus for almost a year now due to some reasons, and I'm sure a lot of people here have the same thing happened to them too, so you're not the only one. However I've also finished the foundation of my vn; script, art direction, character designs, etc so when I'm finally able to continue, I just need to pick up from where I left.

How about you? How much have you finished? If it's quite a lot, then I personally would suggest you to just continue. But I also understand that it can be hard to continue something that you're not satisfied with. If you think your project is too big, it's also a good thing to review your script or ask/hire someone to do it and work your way to make it shorter and more manageable. Whether you want to move the direction of your story or not, it's really up to you as the one who hold the vision. Remember at the start of making your project, what kind of story do you wish to tell?

Hope that helps!

Catlip Candy
Regular

#3 Post by Catlip Candy »

You're right. I guess that I've forgotten what kind of story I wanted to tell. However, I'm also quite troubled if I make it much lighter than before. If I make it much lighter, would that mean that I am basically erasing much of their backstory and that would make the characters and the story look dull and without really a story to tell.

So far, I'm still on the script. I always break my script in different days (I broke it to eight days) and I'm still on Day four. Anyways, I can do all the script up until Day seven I guess and there starts the writer's block. But I don't want to continue and spend so much time and effort if I don't really plan it well. I'm out of ideas qwq
All I ask from the readers is to give feedback on what they think I should improve more.
Even the harshest comments are welcomed and greatly appreciated, as long as it is your truthful opinion!

illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

#4 Post by illuminate001 »

Hi Catlip,

This could be just my perception but tbh it doesn't seem like you're too crazy about restarting this project persay. Perhaps you're doing it more out of actual obligation (to yourself), which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it'd be best and the result will be best if you're actually wanting to do it out of enthusiasm.

Or it could just be that you're being cautious and I'm reading it wrong. =)

If you feel like scoping down your VN would remove what makes it special and therefore does it a disservice, but at the same time you don't feel enthusiastic about finishing the large scale project itself...I'd not resume the project at all. Either the project suffers or you do.

I'd say start a brand new project that you're excited for with a scope that you can manage now that you've made a few games since.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Catlip Candy
Regular

#5 Post by Catlip Candy »

I see. Actually, I'd love to finish this because this is the huge project and the only one I'm interested in finishing as of the moment. I'm not too fond of restarting all over again because I feel it's too much work (I'm such a spoiled bwat huehue) and not too fond of continuing because I just doubt my skills that I can pull off such a huge project, plus the writer's block. I can partner up with others but since I'm too busy, I don't want to let down anyone in the team since I won't be able to focus on it full time.

I guess I should just bring back the enthusiasm, maybe. The thing is, making visual novels is my biggest hobby of all time, and I've forgotten actually how to make them once more (even tho I just made one last March). It's maybe my fault for not working on it everyday, and I think my skills, creative imagination have been very rusty.

But I'll try resuming with this project, maybe a bit differently than what I've planned from before (I made plans already - which I haven't finished from before - but I feel like it's just too much if I'll continue with the original plan).

Anyways, thanks so much for your advice, guys!

nerupuff
Veteran

#6 Post by nerupuff »

Hi there! I hope I'm not too late to share an opinion with you. I have two.

1 - Revisiting an old project is tough, especially if you haven't touched it in years. My personal recommendation would be that if you are unhappy with the state that you have left it in, feel free to try and adjust things to suit your current tastes now. You don't necessarily have to scrap a lot of things. Perhaps some backstories you've already made can still be used for your current characters; you just have to find sneaky ways to put them in the plot without making it seem too heavy, since you're leaning away from the drama genre. That way, you don't necessarily give up on your idea and you will still manage to update it and keep it fresh, aligned with your current preferences and and vision for it.

2 - BUT if you feel as though you don't really have the same drive for it as you had back then, you might want to step out of it for now, and start with something smaller (as you did just say that you made it a bit too big). Try something else out and clear your mind on things, and see where it takes you. A different project can still be fun as long as you make sure you put your heart into it. It's always your story to tell. At a later date, you can then revisit this story again, and see if your VN-making journey can help you bring it to life again. My rationale for you starting a different project for now is to help you get the feel of things again and let you grow as a VN dev. After another project, perhaps you'll be able to tackle the challenge of doing your original VN idea justice, drama and love story and all. ^^

I hope you'll be able to make a decision you are happy with. Best of luck!
ImageImage
Hire me for proofreading, editing, and (maybe) writing! ♡ Check here!

Catlip Candy
Regular

#7 Post by Catlip Candy »

Thanks, Nerupuff! I can't make anything new for now because I really want to finish this one. I guess I'll follow tip number 1. Thanks for all the advice, guys!

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#8 Post by Gear »

I just picked up my old project that's been dormant for four years. But jumping back into it, I realized I couldn't just continue from where I left off. There was too much I wanted to change, too much I don't remember from my last work on it. So I restarted.

Still working on it, of course, but it is a huge story with a lot of backstory to tell. But I found that starting over with new people and approaching the ideas from a fresh mindset breathed new life into the project and makes it easier for me to focus. I'm retreading a lot of ground, of course, but I don't mind it personally. It lets me use my current knowledge and experience to craft something that was already (in my own mind anyway) a great story.

This is, of course, how I look at it, and it may be different for you. But in my perspective, starting over made it easier to pick up the pieces and get moving.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

nerupuff
Veteran

#9 Post by nerupuff »

Nice to know that you'll continue your old project. I hope it fares well for you! Good luck, Catlip Candy! Excited to see what you come up with. ^^
ImageImage
Hire me for proofreading, editing, and (maybe) writing! ♡ Check here!

JBShields
Regular
Projects: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=47586
Organization: First Step Cinematics

#10 Post by JBShields »

Don't worry about resuming a project after a haitus. I do it all of the time. I've picked up projects I stopped working on 10 years ago. If the story premise is good, why not? Just check to make sure your art/music is still what you want.

My VN originally was a prose narrative I wrote 7 years ago when I was doing a low-paying part time job but still unemployed for all practices and purposes. I wrote it at one of the lowest points of my life. But I prayed and had hope. Later rewrote the narrative twice--flip-flopping on which point of view I wanted. In the end, I decided to make it a Visual Novel since I thought the story could really come alive in this medium (and because we always need more vampires ;-) ).