Probably a dumb question, but....

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.

Probably a dumb question, but....

#1 Post by Guest »

What program or features would one use to modify a text window (for a Ren'Py game, in this case)? I modified the sample frame.png with MS Paint, but the translucency disappeared once I was done.

Grey
Veteran

#2 Post by Grey »

I use Paint Shop Pro, others like Photoshop, and the GIMP is free.

MS paint really isn't made for anything complicated.

Alternatively if you just want a simple solid colour box or something then RenPy can do that (with you setting RGB and alpha properties) without you needing to make a file.

You may be able to set the alpha for an image in RenPy. But if that might be something you want to do then ask in the RenPy forum

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#3 Post by rioka »

Ren'Py can generate the dialogue box for you. All you have to do is replace: $ style.window.background = Frame("frame.png", 125, 25)
to: $ style.window.background = Solid((255, 255, 255, 255))

If you want a little more info on setting color and what the numbers in the parenthesis' mean, check out Ren'Py 101: Starting Out Part I - Setting Colors

Re: Probably a dumb question, but....

#4 Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:What program or features would one use to modify a text window (for a Ren'Py game, in this case)? I modified the sample frame.png with MS Paint, but the translucency disappeared once I was done.
The problem you're having is due to the fact that MS-Paint doesn't support true alpha channel functionality (transparency/translucence). In fact, I don't believe it supports saving in the .png format, which is the only format used by Ren'Py that supports multiple-level alpha channel functionality.

An image editor such as Adobe Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro (the original PSP ;)) or the GIMP should be able to do what you're trying to do. One of the first things I did with Ren'Py was to create a custom text box, with the text area roughly 50% transparent. It was done in Photoshop and saved as a .PNG file.

For anything involving multiple levels of transparency, you will need to use .png, as none of the other supported file types support this - GIF is the only other image format with transparency, but it's "all-or-none" transparency, not multiple-level.

If you don't want to start learning another image editor, then a solid text box is the way to go. However, you'll eventually need to work with some form of transparency, as you will want to overlay character graphics on top of backgrounds. Since GIF files have "all-or-none" transparency (making for jagged edges), and they only support a 255-color pallette, .png files are the way to go (up to true color with true alpha transparency).

Hope this helps, and best of luck with your game! ^_^

P.W.

PixelWrangler
Regular

Re: Probably a dumb question, but....

#5 Post by PixelWrangler »

Guest (PixelWrangler) wrote:Hope this helps, and best of luck with your game! ^_^

P.W.
Hm... could've sworn I signed in that time... oh, well.

Haven't done that in a while. :P

P.W.
Life is hard.
Except in ren'ai games.
Then it's a whole lot softer.