Opinions on choices and gameplay for my first VN

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
ShindoW
Projects: Celestial Sphere

Opinions on choices and gameplay for my first VN

#1 Post by ShindoW »

Hey guys.
Long time lurker and currently working on my VN, WispHer. I've got my GUI, art, and a good chunk of my script completed, but as I'm developing the game I am contemplating how people would feel about my proposed game play.

There are quite a few characters. I've read that only having some as romantic options may be unfavorable and I wouldn't mind writing meaningful romantic options for my MC. I do have a canon ending in mind--but it's actually not my favorite XD

Secondly, I would like routes to be determined by an affection system that can be easily manipulated. There are many, natural occurring choices that affect relationships by minuscule amounts over the course of the game. Rarely, talking to one character about another can even effect the character being gossiped about. However, none of these will be a major decision. I'm only going to have a handful of major decisions--but I am thinking about giving a visual cue that it's very important and only changes the A/B route of the highest romanced character. Think of it kind of like modern-Persona's social link system, if you could have endings with any of the social links you maxed.

The over-arching story will remain mostly the same and personally I'm not a fan of replaying games over and over, so essentially you can pursue whichever character and still get a satisfying ending.

There's another mechanic, which involves free time to "date" each day as well as a gift-giving system. I want to mention that the minor choices and gifts will be greatly affected by a romantic interest's personality--which you would learn through conversation and flavor text. This system can be used to change your character late-game. The only downside is, especially with only using gifts for example, you would gain the ending but miss out on that character's story. The relationship would be like a dumbed down Harvest Moon... but that's your choice.

There are many save slots and you will be prompted to save as each day ends. I'm looking at a time frame of 90 days (in game time, not IRL) for the story to take place.

I'm still debating on the mini-game aspects, so I'll save that question for later on. I do want to say they will be required, but will have several ways they could play out based on certain Tools you've acquired (yet aren't necessary to continue aka you can get by with the basics given).

I know this sounds like a lot, but having made a ton of small, unreleased projects on my own and this being a personal hobby, I don't think the work required is too astronomical for my skill level.

Thank you all in advance for your opinions--I'll take them all into consideration! :)
http://www.2bitsgames.weebly.com
Current Projects:
Celestial Sphere (Scifi visual novel)
Tawantinsuyu (Inherit the Incan Empire in this turn based RPG)

Completed Projects:
The Power of the Internet (A Boogie2988 Fan RPG)

baileykun

Re: Opinions on choices and gameplay for my first VN

#2 Post by baileykun »

Hmmm... actually for a game like this. The romance is a side thing right? Going more in the Harvest Moon direction might not hurt. Allow the player to earn affection for speaking to the characters each day and for giving gifts. Then, have events play at certain affection totals (like heart/flower events depending on the harvest moon.) Then have a total affection threshold to get that characters endings. If no threshold is met there's a single ending. If multiple thresholds are met you might give it to the highest total or let the player pick who to choose from a menu.