Help with my first visual novel

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
jjones2850

Help with my first visual novel

#1 Post by jjones2850 »

I would like help with a visual novel I am making and will release upon completion its called bad ending. Its post apocalyptic and I want it to have no good endings.I'm giving it lots of choices because the player/reader should have freedom and I dont want to force anything plus this is my first visual novel

I have some programming knowledge but not a ton
What I mainly need help with is what choices it should have. its supposed to be player/reader driven

thanks
Last edited by jjones2850 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

baileykun

Re: Help with my first visual novel

#2 Post by baileykun »

Umm... I'm not sure what the question is here. What do you need help with? I mean if you're just asking if the idea is doable then sure. Anything is just about.

Nagibator

#3 Post by Nagibator »

Saying that you need help with a project simply puts everyone in a state of confusion. If you need someone specific, I'd recommend looking here:

viewforum.php?f=58

Although I'd highly recommend that as the creator of the story, you might want to have some programming knowledge. If you intend on using Ren'Py, I would recommend visiting here:

viewforum.php?f=51

Equil

#4 Post by Equil »

the decisions/choices would be heavily based upon the story and whats happening in the route at the time, its called bad ending. "Its post apocalyptic and I want it to have no good endings." is not enough information to give any advice on choices since we dont know what happening except its post apocalyptic.

arty
Regular
Completed: White Monday
Projects: HATE is a 4 Letter Word
Organization: KATHARSIS ART
itch: artys-games

#5 Post by arty »

Making something very interactive as your first game will be very challenging.
Also, with how little info you've given no one will be able to tell you what choices you should include. We don't know your story (if there is any) and we don't know what your creative vision is beyond what you stated in your post - which is nowhere near enough to help. Remember that most people won't be willing to write your story for you or make your game for you, unless you pay them.

Cheers

PeterKmiecik
Regular
Tumblr: peterkmiecik
Deviantart: peterkmiecik

#6 Post by PeterKmiecik »

I'd suggest to dig a little bit on how branching narrative is done and structured. Then try to research what goes into VN. Which core features You need to make game playable. Focus only on MVP - most viable product, meaning do only necessary stuff to make game run. Then add all the other stuff later. Good Luck !