Megatokyo NaNoRenO

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Megatokyo NaNoRenO

#1 Post by PyTom »

NaNoRenO creators may want to check out the Megatokyo homepage today (May 4, 2005) and/or tomorrow (May 5, 2005).

I'm just saying.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

PixelWrangler
Regular

#2 Post by PixelWrangler »

Sweet, PyTom! A very, VERY cool thing for you to do. :)

Of course, now I'm really regretting not getting my project done on time... :(

Rock on, SWAMI! (Silent Workers Association of Megatokyo Infiltration)

P.W.

P.S. - For those who can't find it, check out and follow the right link in the Support box below the comic.

P.P.S. - Game makers: get ready for the download spike! ;)
Life is hard.
Except in ren'ai games.
Then it's a whole lot softer.

bookie
Veteran

#3 Post by bookie »

5W33+!

Grey
Veteran

#4 Post by Grey »

Wow, paying for an ad there for us all :D

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#5 Post by mikey »

Thank you! That was unexpected!
Does that mean we get 10x the traffic now? :P

Nah, it shows great respect as far as I am concerned. *feels honored*
How can we repay this... :cry:

(AND it's May 4th...! - that's an inside joke, oops)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#6 Post by PyTom »

Well, since the MT ad will be vanishing into the ether in a second, I thought I'd record it here before it disappears. It read:
mikey>> It isn't something that needs to be repayed. It's my way of thanking everyone who went the distance and created an original game in a month (or two :-)).

It actually got us some attention in unexpected places, not all of it all that good:

http://forum.rocksoc.com/viewthread.php?tid=9451

Links us with "Dodgy, Japanese Style, Interactive Comic Type Game Thingies Created by Some Slack Jawed Western Yokles...", which isn't the world's greatest complement. But hey, it sent a half-dozen people to the page.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#7 Post by mikey »

PyTom wrote:Links us with "Dodgy, Japanese Style, Interactive Comic Type Game Thingies Created by Some Slack Jawed Western Yokles...", which isn't the world's greatest complement. But hey, it sent a half-dozen people to the page.
Well, as we say - first they laugh, then they wonder, then they respect. It isn't going to be very different (especially) in our department. As for me, it's extra motivation and a confirmation that things are moving in the right direction.

BTW, I downloaded the MT page just for that nostalgic record some time down the road. Thanks again for the nice surprise! :P

PixelWrangler
Regular

#8 Post by PixelWrangler »

PyTom wrote:Well, since the MT ad will be vanishing into the ether in a second, I thought I'd record it here before it disappears. It read:
It actually got us some attention in unexpected places, not all of it all that good:

http://forum.rocksoc.com/viewthread.php?tid=9451

Links us with "Dodgy, Japanese Style, Interactive Comic Type Game Thingies Created by Some Slack Jawed Western Yokles...", which isn't the world's greatest complement. But hey, it sent a half-dozen people to the page.
:roll:
<rant>

Checking the profile, etc. of that person, he/she/it is the judgemental, anger-prone type that hangs around in the General area of multiple forums, beating on new forum members and waxing cynical on anything that moves. He/she/it most likely reads Megatokyo and complains whenever there's a comic that doesn't have humorous content featuring Largo and/or "l33t"-speak. He/she/it also probably thinks that every game should be a multi-million-dollar enterprise with name-brand stars and the latest 3D engine, and that Japanese games are all stupid and pointless. (n0 z0mb13z 2 k1ll, d00d!!1)

Agh.

It's people (read: morons) like that who have caused me to all but swear off online internet forums/message boards. (and boards like this one that have, in turn, caused me to keep a glimmer of hope alive)

Cynical, jaded, ignorant commentary on independent Western-style ren'ai games by a forum troll with too much time on his hands and far too free access to the internet.

Click Here

...and he/she/it really should be doing University work right now. Anything to keep him/her/it off of the internet. :evil:

</rant>

P.W.

P.S. - Sorry for the venom, but I find that type of ignorant rudeness quite irritating. (especially the name-calling. University? Um... riiiight)

One has to wonder why he/she/it even posted the link, if the games were that unpalatable... probably hoping for like-"minded" responses.

P.P.S. - Ironically, the troll misspelled "Yokel", a word that seems to describe said troll quite well. :lol:
Life is hard.
Except in ren'ai games.

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#9 Post by chronoluminaire »

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about it, PW. It's not like it was a damning review by some big-name site or journal. I suspect it'll be taken with a pinch of salt by the people who visit the forum. I think this is a case of "any publicity is good publicity". And "Dodgy, Japanese Style, Interactive Comic Type Game Thingies" is probably a description that will intrigue quite a lot of people :lol: I'm just happy more people are being exposed to our games.

PixelWrangler
Regular

#10 Post by PixelWrangler »

chronoluminaire wrote:To be honest, I wouldn't worry about it, PW. It's not like it was a damning review by some big-name site or journal. I suspect it'll be taken with a pinch of salt by the people who visit the forum. I think this is a case of "any publicity is good publicity". And "Dodgy, Japanese Style, Interactive Comic Type Game Thingies" is probably a description that will intrigue quite a lot of people :lol: I'm just happy more people are being exposed to our games.
Yeah, I know... and I'm pretty much over it at this point.

Nothing like a good rant now and again, though, especially a well-deserved one. ;)

And you're right... for all we know, one of the people who linked to the games may join this forum, or may have started making a game of their own. :)

"Consider the source, then consider the information, and feel free to disregard the source if neccessary." - PixelWrangler :)

P.W.
Life is hard.
Except in ren'ai games.