Funding for paid game

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Chiyori

Funding for paid game

#1 Post by Chiyori »

Actually, I have a simple question! Is it okay to fundraise for a game that's going to be commercial/paid for the final version? Of course, the donators will have incentives but I was wondering if that's ever been a thing?

puppetbomb
Regular
Tumblr: puppetbomb
itch: puppetbomb

Re: Funding for paid game

#2 Post by puppetbomb »

Usually something like Kickstarter offers a download of the game at different tiers. Smaller amounts of money usually nets people things like a shoutout or digital wallpapers.

So in a sense, yes. But there's always an option to donate more money to receive a copy of the game when it is released.

Chiyori

#3 Post by Chiyori »

puppetbomb wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:43 am Usually something like Kickstarter offers a download of the game at different tiers. Smaller amounts of money usually nets people things like a shoutout or digital wallpapers.

So in a sense, yes. But there's always an option to donate more money to receive a copy of the game when it is released.
Oh thank you, I will keep this in mind!

PeterKmiecik
Regular
Tumblr: peterkmiecik
Deviantart: peterkmiecik

#4 Post by PeterKmiecik »

Sure, point in most KS campaigns is to actually make a game. Then It's up to developer what to do with the product. Kickstarter nowadays works more often like marketing tool than ever though.
You can give "early access" to game for discounted price for Your backers. Who would like to buy and support will do through KS, rest will wait for have it avaible through steam.