Ren'Py Coding Questions

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Sampai
Tumblr: sampai-gamedev
itch: itssampai.itch.io

Ren'Py Coding Questions

#1 Post by Sampai »

Hi there!

Currently I am making a visual novel game as a part of my Game Development studies. I have finished writing all of the code, however there are a few issues. I was wondering if there is a way to call a line of code in the same script, or should I make each chapter have its own script and if so how do I call the separate scripts? I am still learning as I go and any help would be appreciated.

IronForPistons
Regular
Projects: Panzer Hearts (Editor), Picture Perfect Romance (Editor), Children of Cosmos (Editor)
Organization: Crystal Compass

Re: Ren'Py Coding Questions

#2 Post by IronForPistons »

Hi there! It sounds like you would benefit from reading through the quickstart guide: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/quickstart.html

The Ren'Py discord is a great resource as well - feel free to join up and ask questions there! https://discord.gg/6ckxWYm
Feel free to call me Iron!

Interested in editing or proofreading services? I do both, for free or trade!

Karl_C
Veteran

#3 Post by Karl_C »

Sampai wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:35 pm I was wondering if there is a way to call a line of code in the same script, or should I make each chapter have its own script and if so how do I call the separate scripts?
I'm not sure if you're talking about something like that: Developer Tools: Warping to a line?

Or do you simply want to jump to somewhere in your script? Labels & Control Flow

Sampai

#4 Post by Sampai »

I shall look into all the links you have both sent me and try to see if any of these solutions work. :)

arty
Regular
Completed: White Monday
Projects: HATE is a 4 Letter Word
Organization: KATHARSIS ART
itch: artys-games

#5 Post by arty »

I would split up the scenes into seperate script files. You can just put a label at the beginning of each file and jump to the label from the end of the previous file.

Code: Select all

label sample1:
    blabla your code
^at the beginning of the file

Code: Select all

jump sample1
^at the end of the previous file

Additionally to the Quickstart Guide, there's also a little Beginner's Tutorial that I wrote in an attempt to simplify the QG (shameless self promotion, sorry): viewtopic.php?f=51&t=50946
Labels are explained on page 8 of the doc.

Sampai

#6 Post by Sampai »

Thank you all so much for your help! I managed to get my code working for my game :D