Android app made with Ren'Py?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Template Maker for Ren'Py, What Life
Github: lunalucid
Soundcloud: LunaLucidMusic
itch: lunalucid

Android app made with Ren'Py?

#1 Post by namastaii »

This might be a ridiculous question but I know the ren'py engine pretty well. I'm comfortable with it and I've been dabbling and creating half-finished projects for years. I really like creating UI and making in-game cell phone screens and computer screens and such so since I've been interested in making an android app lately, I'm wondering if it's possible to just use ren'py for it? I mean, obviously it's 'possible' I guess but what I mean is is it not a very good solution for an app? Would it just be a lot more worth it to study android development more and do it a more traditional way? I'm just wondering if it would be slow, counter productive at all..

To give you an idea, I'm just trying to create an app that would mimic a planner in a way. Lists and dates and stuff and I would be able to do that in ren'py easy so I was just wondering if anyone had thoughts on it? Since I know this engine is developed purely for visual novel/sim games.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Android app made with Ren'Py?

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

No reason you cannot do it.
The main reason I see to learn Android proper, is renoy relies on python, which means it's slow (comparatively) and kind of bloated (although lately that's improved a lot)
No real reason not to try though.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Template Maker for Ren'Py, What Life
Github: lunalucid
Soundcloud: LunaLucidMusic
itch: lunalucid

Re: Android app made with Ren'Py?

#3 Post by namastaii »

Yeah, that's why I'm wondering mainly. If the code will feel a bit redundant at all for this purpose. I'm also not a pro at programming. But for now python IS my comfort zone.