"History" in VNs - do you use it?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Aureus
Veteran
Completed: The Tavern, Tales From Windy Meadow
Projects: Roadwarden
Organization: Moral Anxiety Studio
itch: moral-anxiety

"History" in VNs - do you use it?

#1 Post by Aureus »

Greetings!
Whenever I play a game that has a "history" menu in it (which automatically lists all the dialogues and narration in the game, very common in Ren'Py games), I find myself never using it. I prefer to just roll back a bit, or save the game often and load to a previous part.
I'm working on a game that I think would not really benefit from the "history" menu in it, so I wonder - if you play a Visual Novel that has such an archive, do you use it? Or do you just ignore it, like I do?
Tales From Windy Meadow - slice of life, pixel art Visual Novel set in a fantasy village. now available on Steam.

Selidor
Regular
Tumblr: gateofselidor

Re: "History" in VNs - do you use it?

#2 Post by Selidor »

I use it because sometimes I do something stupid like hit a button to advance the text before I've finished reading a line, or zone out and realise a few lines later that I wasn't really reading anything. Sometimes it's also nice to look back over a complex conversation to make sure I've fully grasped everything, especially when I'm playing a game that isn't in my native language.

Aureus
Veteran

#3 Post by Aureus »

Hi there, thank you for answering!
I have the same problems, but I usually prefer to just use my mouse wheel to roll back and read everything in full. It's faster for me than opening the "history screen". scrolling to find the right line and read it without the sound effects or graphics... If I can ask, is such a way less convenient for you?
Tales From Windy Meadow - slice of life, pixel art Visual Novel set in a fantasy village. now available on Steam.

Offworlder
Regular

#4 Post by Offworlder »

I've played a lot of English-localized Japanese visual novels, and they generally don't have the ability to rollback. Thus, the History screen is the only way to view anything you may have missed or just want to re-visit.

In my opinion, actually scrolling through the text is substantially more inconvenient. With the History screen, it takes no time to review a large section of text at once. If I want to read something from a while back, having to figure out how far to scroll is a huge pain. Even moreso to get back to where I was once done reading the previous section. Conversely, having a completely separate history screen means I can just open the window, find what I need, then immediately go back to playing the game. It's a lot less immersion-breaking than rolling back. I'm always unhappy when a VN doesn't include the History screen.
Last edited by Offworlder on Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aureus
Veteran

#5 Post by Aureus »

Thank you, you're helping me a lot!

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#6 Post by trooper6 »

I have never used the history screen...and am not even sure where I'd find it. Now that I think about it...I should probably disable it in my game...at the very least see what my game looks like if someone presses whatever key would bring up the history screen...because I'm certain I haven't customized that.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Selidor
Regular
Tumblr: gateofselidor

#7 Post by Selidor »

Aureus wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:58 am Hi there, thank you for answering!
I have the same problems, but I usually prefer to just use my mouse wheel to roll back and read everything in full. It's faster for me than opening the "history screen". scrolling to find the right line and read it without the sound effects or graphics... If I can ask, is such a way less convenient for you?
As mentioned, not all games have the rollback feature, and to be honest if I'm looking back over a conversation, I just prefer to have it all laid out on the screen at once for convenience. I mostly use it when playing Japanese VNs, which typically let you jump back to any point in the history if you want to go through it again, and allow you to replay the relevant voice clip from the history.

Aureus
Veteran

#8 Post by Aureus »

Selidor wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:16 pm and allow you to replay the relevant voice clip from the history.
This, once again, is very valuable for me. I actually always turn off voice actors in VNs, so it didn't even come to my mind.

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

#9 Post by parttimestorier »

I use the history screen all the time and usually prefer it rollback. Sometimes I'll realize I was sort of "zoned out" while reading for a little bit, and I find it easier to scroll up a bit in the history screen to reread the lines I wasn't fully paying attention to than to click rollback a bunch of times. Also, if I find a few lines of dialogue particularly funny or something, I can easily show that to my friends by taking a screenshot of the history.
ImageImageImage