Interactive objects in a room

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
dennissaton

Interactive objects in a room

#1 Post by dennissaton »

How Realistic is this:

I have a basic room as a background.

I want the player to be able too choose the type of furniture in the room.
This wont change during the game unless the player buys new furniture or some even triggers its destruction.

But other Char could interact with the furniture example if you buy a couch and you have a dog.
The dog might sleep on the couch and you would see that in the store.

Where as if you did no buy the couch the dog would sleep on the floor.

Does this make things too complicated
does it slow down the game too much.

Etc

Thank You

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

Re: Interactive objects in a room

#2 Post by parttimestorier »

It sounds to me like you just need some variables and conditional statements. There might be a more efficient way to set it up depending on the specifics of your project, but for instance, you could have three different versions of your background: one default one, one with a couch, and one with a dog on the couch. Then you set up the variables so that if the player has a couch you see the couch version of the background, if the player has a couch and a dog you see the dog and couch version of the background, etc. It's pretty standard to have a lot of variables and conditionals based on your choices in visual novels, and not something you should worry about slowing down the game at all. It sounds like you might also want to look into some imagemap tutorials if you want to let players click on the couch or other specific objects in the room and interact with them.
ImageImageImage