How many people here likes kinetic novels?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

Re: How many people here likes kinetic novels?

#16 Post by KomiTsuku »

It all depends on the quality of work. I'd rather have no options at all instead of options that either make no sense, affect the story in completely stupid ways, or have no good option most of the time.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#17 Post by Aleema »

I like kinetic novels, because I like movies and books and such. I like a good story.

But I love those games that give you like 5 options to respond after every setence, too (i.e. KOTOR, Mass Effect, etc). But when you think about it, all those options just give you an illusion of interaction and impact -- there's usually only two endings you'll ever get. But, I prefer it that way with really long games, so you don't have to play it eight plus times to see all the content.

I do think I have some sort of expectation for options when I play a VN ... all I ask for are breaking points like chapters in a book. And if the story is good, I'll pick up the game where I left it.

Jo'ogn
Veteran
Projects: Kassiopeia [iVN]

#18 Post by Jo'ogn »

Interactivity all the way ^_^b

In other words, I am not really interested in just reading stories (KN).
Audio Plays: [original] The White Feathers Directive - [Star Wars] Through Flame and Shadow
Ren'Py: Kassiopeia [very interactive VN] work in progress - looking for proof reader english

Ikka

#19 Post by Ikka »

But a lot of people liked Songs of Araiah, right?

Poketto Kunoichi
Regular

#20 Post by Poketto Kunoichi »

I haven't played one, yet, but I have played a semi-kinetic one (Cassiopeia) and I loved it, so I guess I'd say they're fine. It all depends on the story. Really, I prefer to have different endings and stuff, but if the story is good enough, I just may play it. :)

Amahime
Projects: Frozen Hearts

#21 Post by Amahime »

It all depends on the story. For example, I really liked Red Shift and Moonshine, which were both very intriguing.
However, I prefer interactive stuff after all, especially if it's a longer story xD
Sketch dumpage: Oekaki.Mooneater.org

Der Tod ist der seligste Traum.
So lass mich den Todesengel sein
-Georg Büchner

Kazuhisa
Projects: Small Sci-fi VN

#22 Post by Kazuhisa »

Really depends on the story and character interactions. I could care less about interactivity if the characters and story really grip me. Making the game too interactive imo can take away from the content. But that's just my opinion.

Jeshua_Morbus
Projects: Now workin on "Las sombras del lago" (The lake's shadows)

#23 Post by Jeshua_Morbus »

I prefer kinetic novel over visual novel but i don't reject either one. I began with a kinetic novel (Planetarian... precious one :3) and i'm working on one now. It's simplier.

But, if you don't like reject ideas and you think can put together in one story, you can try the VN format if you don't descourage easily (I just began thinking on a story with a lot of argumental changes depending of the choices you do: It could be a shonen (save the world!) or a shojo (you prefer fall in love of that lady more than use your sword to fight those nasty bandits wich all the town are talking about)... but this way could end with more than fourteen argumental arcs, a number hard to control). All depends of how much you like work in your own projects.

Sorry for my bad english -. -

V2Blast
Regular

#24 Post by V2Blast »

I like both VNs and KNs. I like KNs more if they have a strong, compelling story. VNs can often be less compelling because of the focus on interactivity, but they can also have an excellent storyline when done right.
Pie is delicious.

lunasspecto
Regular
Location: USA: New York City (school) and Massachusetts (home)

#25 Post by lunasspecto »

I like both kinetic novels and more interactive visual novels, but when I feel like the protagonist has different motivations for making a choice than I do, I start to feel disconnected from the story.
from the virtual desk of Kazuki Mishima

Ramidel
Regular

#26 Post by Ramidel »

What I actually really dislike (for a sort of Uncanny Valley-esque reason) are semi-kinetic novels with two or three dialogue options total spread across hours of reading.

Kinetic novels, by contrast, I read as stories. VNs I play for the interaction.

modesty
Regular
Completed: Line of Heroes
Projects: Captive Finwife, Trouble Brewing, Human Experiments

#27 Post by modesty »

Definitely more interactive or branching at least. When I have a "game like" interface I expect to interact with it.

Otherwise it might as well be an animated comic or animation. If you got stills with voice over, I would probably tolerate it. But if it's me just clicking through dialog I keep wondering (When do I get to make a choice?!)

Rane

#28 Post by Rane »

I really prefer kinetic novels because I just want to read the story the writer wants to tell the reader. I don't like having to make choices and wonder "what would've happened if I did that instead of...". Having to go back in time and try a different kind of approach is kind of boring and I lose interest pretty soon.
So, I like to read the story without having to think what to do next. Just listening to some appropriate music for the scene and see the characters interact with each other is more enjoyable. (The story had better be good though :P )
I think of them as novels to read, not as games to play.

[Hana]

#29 Post by [Hana] »

I honestly prefer Kinetic Novels. Sometimes playing a Visual Novel can be crippling, I don't want to choose the wrong option and end up with a bad end, or in some cases not play the paths in order and completely mess up later parts of the game. (For instance, in Clannad if the paths are not all in a specific order After Story has a bad ending.). But I really like Visual Novels' interactive aspect and different paths. Either way, I won't play either of them if the story isn't written well enough. If the story is strong, its written well, the characters have impact, and the artwork and music come together well it doesn't matter to me whether they are Visual or Kinetic, really.
I don't really understand everyone's argument over "I'd rather read a manga/watch an anime". Aren't KN's/VN's...well, novels? Novels that use music and images to bring you further into the story? I'm not sure if Manga or Anime can be as impactfull as a VN/KN can be, neither of them really qualify as 'novels' at all. but thats probably just me being a huge Bookworm.

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#30 Post by Wintermoon »

[Hana] wrote:(For instance, in Clannad if the paths are not all in a specific order After Story has a bad ending.).
OT, but that's not the case. Instead, the bad ending to the After Story is one of the paths that you need to play in order to unlock the Akio path, which you need to complete to unlock the good ending to the After Story. The order in which you play the paths is AFAIK irrelevant except insofar as some paths are locked until another path is completed.