How many people here likes kinetic novels?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Ikka

How many people here likes kinetic novels?

#1 Post by Ikka »

Do you prefer Kinetic Novels, or Semi-Kinetic Novels with only one or two choices in them? Tell me your opinions!

killdream
Veteran
Projects: EVūL (WIP), insilo (WIP), Cute Demon Crashers!
Deviantart: robotlolita
Github: robotlolita

Re: How many people here likes kinetic novels?

#2 Post by killdream »

I'd say I prefer a more interactive approach, altough both my favorite VNs are kinetic (Stage-Nana's Narcissu and Key's Planetarium).

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#3 Post by Vatina »

I prefer interactive. If it's kinetic, then it has to be really interesting, or else I'd rather read a book/manga (I don't like reading on the screen to begin with...).

As an example Planetarian was good enough for me to really enjoy it, story art and music combined. A few novels here have been nice as well.

ebonyskies
Regular
Projects: Visit to Nowhere (WIP) and Pet Project--Cat Girl

#4 Post by ebonyskies »

Like previously stated, if a kinetic novel is interesting enough, it doesn't really need the interactivity to spice it up, but most people tend to lean towards the interactivity. ^_^ It adds to the replay value as well.
Currently in the pre-production stages of creating the VN Visit to Nowhere, a moderately dark modern fairytale. In progress thread will be created once out of the pre-production phase. =D

Plotting: 25%
Concept art: 80%
Demo: 50%

IceD
Veteran

#5 Post by IceD »

It depends. I like both kinetic and interactive stories though kinetic ones tend to succeed more with delivering message to readers. My first novel was Planetarian and maybe because of it, I tend to look more brighter upon short stories with nice impact rather than very long, confusing tales, they're just easier to grasp.

Coatl
Regular
Projects: Working Title (If I realese the Alpha before I give out a title I'll ask for opinions)

#6 Post by Coatl »

My only Kinetic novel was LEAVEs, and I honestly didn't enjoy it. The next closest thing was Ballad of the Evening Butterfly, and it only had on choice but I liked it.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#7 Post by Sapphi »

I like them, but they have to have GOOD art, music and story.
Basically, since I don't have the luxury of choosing the story's path, it better the mood right and give me something pretty to look at instead. XD

I had never played a kinetic novel before and thought the whole idea seemed boring and a slight waste of time... until I played True Remembrance. Now I understand why people like them.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#8 Post by Samu-kun »

Whether a novel's kinetic or branching usually doesn't factor into whether I like a game. I pay more attention to story, art, and music.

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Wintermoon »

Most of the novels I read have no choices, no sound and no pictures. None of these things are necessary. Put choices (and sound and pictures) in if you want, but worry about writing a worthwhile novel first.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#10 Post by LVUER »

If the story is extremely good (like Higurashi) perhaps I don't mind... but generally I prefer interactivity (and I would like to avoid single ending). Too much interactivity also could be bad in VN but the point is I don't really like kinetic novel (and semi, if there's only 2 or 3 choices in 8+ hours VN).

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#11 Post by chronoluminaire »

It makes quite a big difference to me if there's choices - even just one or two. I much prefer having some small amount of control to having none at all.
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#12 Post by LVUER »

Well, if the game is only 2 or 3 hours long, then one or two choice is acceptable. But if the game is more than 8 hours, less than 5 choice is kinda unacceptable (at least for me). The longer the game, I prefer more options/choices.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#13 Post by jack_norton »

I prefer lots of choices! in my upcoming game Bionic Heart I put 59 menus, that is one every 74 screens of dialogue (not including the interactive sequences).
I agree with others, if I have only to read, is better to read a book/comic. Computers are really great because you can interact/change the story :)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#14 Post by azureXtwilight »

I also choose Visual Novels, because I don't like single ending. The only kinetic novel I played was Dream Chasers and I love it very much!

pinkmouse
Regular
Projects: A renpy beginner - test projects only atm

#15 Post by pinkmouse »

I do like having choices - as other people have said, if there are no choices, then it might as well be a comic.

However, realistically, beyond a certain (fairly small) number of choices, the author(s) aren't going to be able to generate new content to fill the extra branches, so it just means the same amount of difference is being spread over a bigger number of menus IYSWIM.

That in turn means that there's more combinations to try when you're trying to get different endings. So as the number of menus/menu options expands beyond the number of story branches, more choices are a bad thing.

Mind you - I've no idea what that "sweet spot" of just enough choices is. Can anyone with more experience chip in?