I'm currently making a dedicated RenPy IDE in Python+Tcl/Tk

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
dogeek
Github: Dogeek

I'm currently making a dedicated RenPy IDE in Python+Tcl/Tk

#1 Post by dogeek »

Background info : I'm the lead coder for Summertime Saga, a RenPy made visual novel/ point and click with NSFW scenes, and I never enjoyed coding for renpy on any editor, due to the lack of support for the engine. Syntax highlighting support is weak at best, and there's no way to quickly run a file to test something out, like you can do with pure python code.

Thus, I've decided to create an all-inclusive IDE to develop RenPy games.

Non-comprehensive list of planned features :

[*]A console to run the current file in. You will no longer have to load the entire game to test something out.
[*]layeredimage builder. Just open some files, and drag them, resize them, rotate them, crop them to make layered images.
[*]Text editor features with breakpoints, line numbering, syntax highlighting, collapsing blocks of code, adding text tags from a shortcut/button press etc.
[*]Variable viewer. See at all times all the variables you have defined in your project, filter them, see their type and value, copy/paste them.
[*]Snippets (project-specific and global snippets)
[*]screen builder (to make screens out of a background, imagebuttons and conditions mostly. I don't plan to add in support for viewports, timers and all of that anytime soon).
[*]Theme support (just drag and drop a valid theme in the themes/ directory)
[*]Visual Scripting (not anytime soon though)

If you want to join the project, or just like having yet another discord server tied to your account, here's an invite for the discord of this project, and the github repo.

Discord - Github Repository

nerupuff
Veteran

Re: I'm currently making a dedicated RenPy IDE in Python+Tcl/Tk

#2 Post by nerupuff »

Just wanted to let you know that I'm amazed with the amount of work that you've already put in here, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of the updates on github (especially for the screen builder and comparing 2 files, which I saw on your comprehensive to-do list on github). Good luck!
ImageImage
Hire me for proofreading, editing, and (maybe) writing! ♡ Check here!

dogeek
Github: Dogeek

Re: I'm currently making a dedicated RenPy IDE in Python+Tcl/Tk

#3 Post by dogeek »

Thanks a lot! Yeah, I can'tt believe how fast I am able to put features in myself, although I slowed down quite a bit recently as I have other matters to attend to and can't dedicate my whole day to the project. The very first release probably won't include the screen builder, as it's a feature that needs some maturing before I consider it ready, especially in terms of the UI/UX. I'm still not sure of how much the builder should support, My first intention being to only support add, imagebutton and maybe use statements (and conditionnals of course). The screen language is much more complex than just those few though. As for the diff between two files, I'll start on it soon. It's by no means a complex feature to implement, but it has a few prerequisites, like the toolbar which I have not implemented yet.