Any web tools that you wish you had?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
MI_Buddy
Regular
Projects: Breakdown, Showpony
Tumblr: joshpowlison
Deviantart: MI-Buddy
Github: joshpowlison
Soundcloud: joshpowlison
itch: joshpowlison

Any web tools that you wish you had?

#1 Post by MI_Buddy »

I'm a web programmer and I've been making a lot of tools for my own projects (I've made Showpony and Looper for this KN, resource lists, experimental search tools), but I'm interested to hear what you guys would like.

I am most interested in stuff people would be willing to pay for (food is nice), but if a lot of people aren't up to a full-price deal I could do a Kickstarter or something to gauge interest and see if I could make enough money to justify spending time on it as an open-source project.

Tomorrow's my day off and it's getting late here, so I may be slow to respond, but wanted to put out some feelers on this! If there's something that just bugs you- a process that's really slow, a part of your work that's annoying- that could be good info for me too.
Writer/Programmer
KNs/VNS completed: Breakdown
KNs/VNs in development: Caravan, Project Foresight (working title)
Resources: Your Story Now!: YouTube series Showpony: web vn engine Free software list Free stock list

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

Re: Any web tools that you wish you had?

#2 Post by sasquatchii »

I don't know if this counts as a web tool - but I'm really excited about StoryDevs by Jake Bowkett. StoryDevs is a site where developers of visual novels, interactive fiction, and story-oriented games can find each other and work together! I've been following its development over the last few months and it seems like its going to be awesome once its finished.

There are sites like StoryDevs that you have to pay to use (some are one time fees while others are subscription-base), but are more broad/specific - like for artists doing commercial work, or designers, writers, etc.

I would pay for something like StoryDev (or even StoryDev itself) that specializes specifically in connecting creatives who want to work specifically on game projects together. I don't know of anywhere other than LSF where there are specific forums for people post about their game dev projects in order to recruit/hire others.
ImageImage

MI_Buddy
Regular

#3 Post by MI_Buddy »

Hey sasquatchii,

Thanks for the input! Also, StoryDevs looks awesome, I'd never heard of it but just reserved a handle!

It sounds like you're looking for places where you can connect with people around a game dev project: you'd post a project inviting people to get involved, rather than just saying "I want people" without stating a project. Or am I misunderstanding you?

I can think of a few places that might be what you're looking for:
r/gameDevClassifieds
Teamups
r/INAT
Edit: also just found this: Indie Collaborative Games

Or are you looking for something more specific?

On a few sideways notes:
1. Doing a game jam with others might be a good way to connect with people.
2. I checked out your blog, and I love that you talk about UI (I feel like that's one of the most under-discussed aspects of game dev). I'd love to connect if you're open to it; we could help each other out or just connect. I focus in programming and writing.
Writer/Programmer
Resources: Your Story Now!: YouTube series Showpony: web vn engine Free software list Free stock list

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#4 Post by sasquatchii »

MI_Buddy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:48 am
Or are you looking for something more specific?

On a few sideways notes:
1. Doing a game jam with others might be a good way to connect with people.
2. I checked out your blog, and I love that you talk about UI (I feel like that's one of the most under-discussed aspects of game dev). I'd love to connect if you're open to it; we could help each other out or just connect. I focus in programming and writing.
Those are amazing, thank you! I've tried searching for game dev forums/websites like that in the past but came up short. I have done game jams before, they are awesome and also a lot of fun!! Though between working full time and life/family, it can be challenging to balance game dev & everything else! Something I'm definitely working on. Though I plan on doing 1 game jam this year and definitely agree it's a great way to connect with others :)

Thank you for checking out my blog!! And I would love to chat!! My email is laurahendersoncreative@live.com, the same one I use on discord is laurahendersoncreative@live.com, and my user name on there is Sasquatchii#0481! Or we could just chat through LSF private messages - whatever works for you :)
ImageImage

MI_Buddy
Regular

#5 Post by MI_Buddy »

You're welcome!

I hear you on balancing projects with everything else, that's still a WIP for me too.

Another place that I just remembered: Casting Call Club

I've sent you a friend request on Discord, under MI_Buddy. My profile pic is a baby orb goat in front of an army of orbs and... I probably ought to change that. XD

////////

On another note, if anyone else has any requests for web tools, feel free to jump into this conversation still! If you ask for something and it already exists, I'll point you there. If it's above my skill level, I'll tell you. If it's a possibility, I'd love to talk!
Writer/Programmer