Using the Same Transforms from Other VNs?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Corban
Projects: Writing the story for a VN that questions the line between man and machine and what it means to love someone.

Using the Same Transforms from Other VNs?

#1 Post by Corban »

So I like to open up the Ren'Py files in VNs and see how they work and what strings of code were used, such as Dan Salvato's Doki Doki Literature Club, in order to learn how to code on my own.

I really like how smooth the DDLC transforms are and I'm planning on practicing with them and changing values to learn a bit of ATL, but then I started wondering...would there be a problem with me using those same animations in a legit visual novel of my own?

I don't imagine that there's a copyright on small sections of the code, so I guess the issue is whether or not people would notice, or if it would be considered a cop out or something?

I probably won't be using those exact transforms, but if I did, I will likely need to alter them slightly to fit my needs more. So this is really just a hypothetical question.
Thanks in advance!

Mutive
Veteran
Completed: Eidolon, Minion!, Love Furever, Epilogue

Re: Using the Same Transforms from Other VNs?

#2 Post by Mutive »

I'm curious what a lawyer will have to say about this and am very much hoping one shows up to chime in. :)

I found this on Wikipedia...
There is a certain amount of work that goes into making copyright successful and just as with other works, copyright for computer programs prohibits not only literal copying, but also copying of "nonliteral elements", such as program's structure, sequence and organization. These non-literal aspects, however, can be protected only "to the extent that they incorporate authorship in programmer's expression of original ideas, as distinguished from the ideas themselves."
My interpretation (again, not a lawyer), is that it's legally murky if you copy the transforms.
Enjoy Eidolon, my free to play game at: https://mutive.itch.io/eidolon, Minion! at: https://mutive.itch.io/minion or Epilogue at: https://mutive.itch.io/epilogue

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

I'd also say it's unclear.
On one hand, they're just transforms written in ordinary renpy scripting code. Anybody could write the same thing without realising it.

On the other hand, using them does (at least technically) constitute a breach of copyright.

A lawyer probably won't respond on the matter for a few reasons even if one was a regular at these forums.

As usual, IANAL TINLA.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Corban
Projects: Writing the story for a VN that questions the line between man and machine and what it means to love someone.

#4 Post by Corban »

There actually is a lawyer here giving free legal advice on Intellectual Property, but that's not necessarily the same as copyright
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=42668
I'll post this there and see if they have anything to say