Worst VN Ever Created [Jam]

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

Worst VN Ever Created [Jam]

#1 Post by Kokoro Hane »

In the spirit of April Fool's Day, and because I miss this challenge so much, I decided to host at itch.io a jam based on the "Worst KN/VN Ever Created" challenge that took place here at Lemmasoft in 2012 and 2013. I thought itch.io is the best place to host, that way we prevent flooding the forums with horrid groaning games. Really, I recommend NOT posting your completed works in the forums and keep their discussion off-site on the jam's page. But it is a more difficult challenge than you imagine. Your goal is not to create a game so bad it's good, but a complete trash heap. However, if your game ends up so bad it's good, don't fret... it's OK to fail sometimes, it just means your skills are that supreme in which that was the crappiest you could come up with.

The jam and full details can be found here;
https://itch.io/jam/the-worst-vnkn-ever-created-2019

Have fun! Let's see what happens when your pefectionist attitude is totally left in the dust and you just make something. Will players groan at you? Or laugh along? Find out~

Original challenges by the original creator can be looked at here;
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16075
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21444
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

nerupuff
Veteran

Re: Worst VN Ever Created [Jam]

#2 Post by nerupuff »

Awesome. This looks like such a good idea. Trash heap sounds like an adventure waiting to happen. I hope I see a lot of submissions by the end of the jam! :---) And thanks for linking 2012 and 2013 versions, I'm gonna try out some of the games posted there ^^
ImageImage
Hire me for proofreading, editing, and (maybe) writing! ♡ Check here!

TheMCButterfly
Projects: Friends Forever - Talk to a character
IRC Nick: Butterfly

#3 Post by TheMCButterfly »

i did it i mad the advensha by butterkykayt

It's meant to be made by a five year old.

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more

#4 Post by Kokoro Hane »

nerupuff wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:10 am Awesome. This looks like such a good idea. Trash heap sounds like an adventure waiting to happen. I hope I see a lot of submissions by the end of the jam! :---) And thanks for linking 2012 and 2013 versions, I'm gonna try out some of the games posted there ^^
Haha do enjoy the many things from the original. It taught and helped devs with a lot of things, believe it or not, and showed how it's not as easy to make a bad game as you think (at least a bad game that people will despise enough lol).
TheMCButterfly wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:42 am i did it i mad the advensha by butterkykayt

It's meant to be made by a five year old.
Ah my apologies, but unfortunately I had removed that game from the jam as I mistook it as spam--you can join again if you want, please forgive my hasty decision. I am still new to jam hosting and had some issues with my last (serious) jam, next time I will not be so hasty. But I would like to say that writing in incoherent English is not a good idea. The game is meant to be bad, but hyped in the description. Especially the install instructions being written the same way, I could hardly understand anything which confuses me whether it follows the rules or not and may off put players to even player it to be judged. It is also wise to include a game thumbnail and 2 screenshots (although I will find 1 acceptable too lol). Plus even if a 5 year old made a game, most likely their parents would be involved at least a little bit in writing for them xD
Last edited by Kokoro Hane on Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PROJECTS:
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

Owl City "Galaxies"

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#5 Post by trooper6 »

Sort of ironic that a game was removed from the Worst VN Ever Created Jam for being too bad.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Kokoro Hane »

trooper6 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:13 pm Sort of ironic that a game was removed from the Worst VN Ever Created Jam for being too bad.
Haha yes I do realize it is ironic, but the idea is a game so bad it's bad but not be incoherent or else no one will even play it to determine its badness. Plus with install instructions written that incoherently, might make people weary and assume its a virus.
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#7 Post by Donmai »

Congratulations on such a good idea. For those in need of some "inspiration", here are the links to the old "The Worst VN/KN Ever" threads:
2012: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16075
2013: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21444
My 2013 game was actually just an exercise on using hyperlinks in Ren'Py.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Donmai wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:52 pm Congratulations on such a good idea. For those in need of some "inspiration", here are the links to the old "The Worst VN/KN Ever" threads:
2012: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16075
2013: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21444
My 2013 game was actually just an exercise on using hyperlinks in Ren'Py.
I still haven't played with hyperlinks yet after 7 years of using this software, lol. Maybe I should finally experiment.
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"