A Game I Made For Practice is Getting Attention. Do I Continue Development?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
verysunshine
Veteran
Organization: Wild Rose Interactive

A Game I Made For Practice is Getting Attention. Do I Continue Development?

#1 Post by verysunshine »

On April 11th, I published a short puzzle game / visual novel on itch.io. It has problems: puzzles are often either so easy they're pointless or so difficult that they're nearly impossible, and neither of the characters involved have personalities. I thought the game would get a couple of downloads. I didn't put any thought into promotion beyond posting about it here.

People seem to be legitimately interested in this game beyond what I expected. It has 47 downloads, 27 of which are on an update I made to bring the game up to the way it should have been released. People have commented at certain points, noting areas that are particularly difficult. Most of these are due to one-time-use elements or puzzles in which information crutial to solving them is missing.

If nobody was playing the game, I wouldn't care about updating the game. I feel like I should at least release an update to patch some of the more inconvenient features. Should I do more with it? I feel like some of the problems, especially the lack of characterization, might not be solved without a complete rewrite.

Build the basics first, then add all the fun bits.

Please check out my games on my itch.io page!

Johan
Regular
Organization: DMEOW
itch: dmeow
Discord: Johan#7444

Re: A Game I Made For Practice is Getting Attention. Do I Continue Development?

#2 Post by Johan »

I think it depends entirely on you.
I know this is not really a good advice 😅 but well, being pressured to continue on something you don't want to, feels.... bad for you. On the other hand, maybe as a way to appreciate the feedback you are getting, you could update only some things, as a way to encourage them to continue support you with other works you are making/make in the future.
dmeow !
Check my silly blog!

◤ And I saw the stars ★ falling down... ◢
Check the game!! IT'S OUT!!!

verysunshine
Veteran

#3 Post by verysunshine »

It's not really "pressure". It's more like "a puppy getting a treat for a trick they don't know they've done."

Critical Deluxe

#4 Post by Critical Deluxe »

See if you can continue development while adding elements that make it more enjoyable to develop. As long as you're not forcing yourself to do something you hate you'll get more experience and knowledge which is always good.

Uy27
Regular

#5 Post by Uy27 »

Go for it. That's the best way of learning. When I released my game I felt a bit pressure once the people started to play the game and expected all kinds of stuff.
But due to the pressure and not wanting to let the player base down- you learn a ton and grow as a developer.
But like mentioned above me- only if you enjoy your current project should you take on the challenge.

verysunshine
Veteran

#6 Post by verysunshine »

Uy27 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 2:58 pm Go for it. That's the best way of learning. When I released my game I felt a bit pressure once the people started to play the game and expected all kinds of stuff.
But due to the pressure and not wanting to let the player base down- you learn a ton and grow as a developer.
But like mentioned above me- only if you enjoy your current project should you take on the challenge.
Yeah! I did end up learning quite a bit from making different versions of the game.

cervineprince
Regular
Projects: Marigold VN | Barajam 2019

#7 Post by cervineprince »

I think go for it! you could challenge yourself to try making less easy puzzles 0:
Image Image

verysunshine
Veteran

#8 Post by verysunshine »

I'm working on another game with some similar ideas, and I hope this one will be good.