Minimizing Project Length

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Fisseha
Projects: Fly Fly Fly, Grey Area, SICK, Raindrops, My Girlfriend Akane
Organization: Lonely Fish
Tumblr: PoissonMorts
Deviantart: MiyukiKudo(INACTIVE)
itch: FishPrincess

Minimizing Project Length

#1 Post by Fisseha »

I like to work on multiple projects, especially if I already have experience with it.

But for visual novels, it's a whole new world for me.
As a beginner, I want to start with a small project, but I tend to make it much longer than intended, and this is not good. I've trimmed down stuff to make it shorter, but tomorrow I'll probably be having new ideas and be using them.

Please help me ;;
I'm an artist, and probably a weaboo.

arty
Regular
Completed: White Monday
Projects: HATE is a 4 Letter Word
Organization: KATHARSIS ART
itch: artys-games

Re: Minimizing Project Length

#2 Post by arty »

Hey there!

I suppose the best advice I can give is ... write down exactly what you want to include in your game, and then call it a day. The rest is self-control! You'll have your plan, and you'll have to stick to it. For the additional ideas, you can make a second list and use them for potential future games. That way they won't be wasted, but you won't have to shoehorn them into your current project, either.

Cheers

Johan
Regular
Organization: DMEOW
itch: dmeow
Discord: Johan#7444

#3 Post by Johan »

I suppose the best advice I can give is ... write down exactly what you want to include in your game, and then call it a day. The rest is self-control! You'll have your plan, and you'll have to stick to it. For the additional ideas, you can make a second list and use them for potential future games. That way they won't be wasted, but you won't have to shoehorn them into your current project, either.
This is what I do! 😁😁
Sometimes the many ideas you have for 1 project can be separated on their own projects. Or divide them into groups: which idea goes best with another idea, and if none of them are related to your current project or your current project is already fixed with a determinated number of ideas, then set them apart for a different project.

Also, just to say that it's not wrong to have a long project. You can have one with many ideas organized! BUT since you are only starting, I definitely recommend you to start with a short project. 😊
dmeow !
Check my silly blog!

◤ And I saw the stars ★ falling down... ◢
Check the game!! IT'S OUT!!!

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#4 Post by Katy133 »

In January, I gave a talk at the 2019 Visual Novel Conference on what I do to organise and plot out my visual novels: I make a story grid.

A recording of the talk I gave was recorded, so you can watch it on YT:

Hope it helps!
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!