Advice on creating point and click VN with topbar user interface

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Starvy_Jedi

Advice on creating point and click VN with topbar user interface

#1 Post by Starvy_Jedi »

So here we are!
I'm an artist (2d) working on the CG of my first VN and in the whiletime I'm trying to build up a basic framework (point and click).
I have been struggling with Visual Novel Maker for some months now, but in the end looks like the program still has several bugs making impossible to me to correctly use hotspots like I want to do. I'm very frustrated right now.

Now I'm studying Renpy cause I'm pretty sure it CAN DO what I need.
I'm writing this post cause I would love some suggestions about how to face up to the framework.
If I'm writing stupid things, please forgive me cause I'm learning right now. :oops:

My purpose is to have a point and click framework, with a (almost) fixed user interface in the topbar area (to open the town map and to display the current location and the current money). Here it is an example:
room.jpg
If I'm not wrong, there are 2 ways to insert hotspots: imagemap and imagebuttons.
Again, if I'm not wrong, it looks like the imagebuttons are a better choice, in general, inside Renpy.
Is this correct?

In the cookbook I found a lot of very useful things, but I didn't succeed in finding anything about a user interface like that.
I wonder if there is any script or tutorial around which could help me.

Or a coder, willing to help me, but this depends on the cost of the job, cause I'm facing very hard times. :(

Thank you for reading this! :)

Starvy_Jedi

Re: Advice on creating point and click VN with topbar user interface

#2 Post by Starvy_Jedi »

Ops.
Sorry moderators I posted in the wrong section.
I suppose this had to be placed in Ren'Py Questions and Announcements ... sorry!

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

What you want is definitely possible in ren'py.
I can't write up an example for at least 7 hours, but I can say you'll need to learn a couple of things.

If you're going to use imagebuttons, you'll need to know how to make an imagebutton, how to position it in a screen, and how to show and hide that screen.

You can read about doing these things in the documentation if you need some examples.
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/index.html
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Starvy_Jedi

#4 Post by Starvy_Jedi »

Thank you Imperf3kt!

I'm reading the manual right now :D

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Imperf3kt »

I forgot all about making an example, I'll try to make one sometime today for you.

Twitter

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#6 Post by Donmai »

Anyone wanting to make a point and click game in Ren'Py should take a look at Susan The Cat's game "Potato Art":
http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-2 ... w&uid=5150
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Starvy_Jedi

#7 Post by Starvy_Jedi »

Imperf3kt wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:51 pm I forgot all about making an example, I'll try to make one sometime today for you.
You are too kind Imperf3kt! :)
I don't want to steal your time, I found a couple of tutorials about buttons which could be useful and maybe enough for my first experiments.

By example, this one: https://youtu.be/L9Vt7fcwkXk

Just one question, cause this is not clear to me, what if I want to fragment code in more files.rpy?
By exampe, if from the main script.rpy I want to call the kitchen.rpy or the bedroom.rpy?
I need to declare them somehow in the code? And how do I link one to the other?

Starvy_Jedi

#8 Post by Starvy_Jedi »

Donmai wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:12 pm Anyone wanting to make a point and click game in Ren'Py should take a look at Susan The Cat's game "Potato Art":
http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-2 ... w&uid=5150
Wow! Thank u, really interesting!

Matalla
Veteran
Completed: Max Power and the Egyptian Beetle Case, The Candidate, The Last Hope, El cajón del viejo escritorio, Clementina y la luna roja, Caught in Orbit, Dirty Business Ep 0, Medianoche de nuevo, The Lost Smile
itch: matalla-interactive

#9 Post by Matalla »

Starvy_Jedi wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:11 am
Imperf3kt wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:51 pm I forgot all about making an example, I'll try to make one sometime today for you.
You are too kind Imperf3kt! :)
I don't want to steal your time, I found a couple of tutorials about buttons which could be useful and maybe enough for my first experiments.

By example, this one: https://youtu.be/L9Vt7fcwkXk

Just one question, cause this is not clear to me, what if I want to fragment code in more files.rpy?
By exampe, if from the main script.rpy I want to call the kitchen.rpy or the bedroom.rpy?
I need to declare them somehow in the code? And how do I link one to the other?
You can organize your code as you see fit, for Renpy it's like it's only one piece of code.

That potato thing looks cool, btw. I'll take a look.
Comunidad Ren'Py en español (Discord)
Honest Critique

Starvy_Jedi

#10 Post by Starvy_Jedi »

Matalla wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:35 am You can organize your code as you see fit, for Renpy it's like it's only one piece of code.
:D Yes! Just tried, works like a charm!
Thanx!

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Imperf3kt »

This is kinda brief and only goes over the basics, but the documentation should cover all of the terms I use here if you want to know more.
This only covers using imagebuttons.

Start off by making a new screen. In screens.rpy, find any area that isn't part of another screen, and at the very left of the line, type:

Code: Select all

screen top_menu():

This is the name of the screen, it can be anything you want bar a few exceptions.

On a new line, add four spaces to create a 'block'
This is called indentation and is an important part of python.
You might want to add one empty line for readability, but it's not really required.

Inside this screen, you can now add things. You want to put some buttons across the top of the screen to act as an always visible menu, so we need to set some parameters for the screen first.
Add zorder 49
This is so it shows above everything except the confirm screen.

Next you need something to hold the buttons. You can add positional info directly to an imagebutton, but a container is used frequently, so it's worth learning how to use it
You'll want a hbox for this (horizontal box)

Type hbox and add : at the end, then on the next line, add an additional four spaces.

You should have something like this now:

screen top_menu() :

zorder 49
    hbox:
        #This is a comment, it isn't part of the code. 

Now you have to position the hbox. There's lots of ways, but you can just use xpos and ypos most of the time.

Use integers (whole numbers) to set the coordinates where you'd like based on pixel count.
Left is 0, right is the maximum resolution of your game (so if your game is 1920*1080, the furthest point right would be 1920, but anything aligned here would be off the screen)
Top is 0 and bottom is again your resolution limit (1080)

Or you could use a float, which is like a percentage. So for halfway, 50%, use 0.5

The hbox needs to be aligned top left, so
xpos 0
ypos 0

Add xfill True to force the hbox to fill the available x space (currently the entire width of the screen)

Now all that's needed is to add some imagebuttons and the screen is done (enough)

Still inside the hbox, add an imagebutton.
Here's a basic button.

screen top_menu() :

zorder 49
    hbox:
        #This is a comment, it isn't part of the code.
        xpos 0
        ypos 0
        xfill True

imagebutton:
            idle "my_image_idle.png"
            hover "my_image_hover.png"
            action ShowMenu("save") 

You'll of course need those images inside the images folder.
There's a lot more you can do to each part of this, but this should cover the basics.

You can later add things like spacing or another container etc.

To use the screen, switch over to script.rpy and simply add show screen top_menu when you want it to appear. Probably at the very start of the game, so add it right after the line 'label start:', again remembering about indentation.

For a hotspot on your drawer, do the same thing pretty much. You'll have to hide screen screen_name when you want to get rid of the hotspot. And choose an appropriate action, for example, Call "drawer_opened", which will take the player to the label "drawer_opened", and then come back to where they were when they clicked on it, once hitting a "return" in the script.

Sorry about how brief this was, I'm short on time lately and unable to give a decent explanation.

Twitter

Starvy_Jedi

#12 Post by Starvy_Jedi »

Imperf3kt wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:56 pm Sorry about how brief this was, I'm short on time lately and unable to give a decent explanation.
This is an amazing explanation!!!
Really really useful! Thank u very much Imperf3kt!

It's perfect.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Imperf3kt »

Starvy_Jedi wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:22 am
Imperf3kt wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:56 pm Sorry about how brief this was, I'm short on time lately and unable to give a decent explanation.
This is an amazing explanation!!!
Really really useful! Thank u very much Imperf3kt!

It's perfect.
Just happy to help.
You'll likely need more help as my explanation was broad. If you do, feel free to ask anything, I or someone else should respond sooner or later, this community as a whole is pretty awesome.

Twitter

Matalla
Veteran
Completed: Max Power and the Egyptian Beetle Case, The Candidate, The Last Hope, El cajón del viejo escritorio, Clementina y la luna roja, Caught in Orbit, Dirty Business Ep 0, Medianoche de nuevo, The Lost Smile
itch: matalla-interactive

#14 Post by Matalla »

Starvy_Jedi wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:22 am It's perfect.
perf3kt
Comunidad Ren'Py en español (Discord)
Honest Critique