Protagonist/Route Preferences?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Cranberr

Protagonist/Route Preferences?

#1 Post by Cranberr »

Hey! New user here!!
I was thinking about making a romance visual novel in the near future and I have a couple ideas but I'm unsure on one thing.
Would the player prefer to have multiple protagonists to choose from and one route for each (there would be 3 protagonists to choose from) or one protagonist with multiple routes (probably 3 routes)?

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: Protagonist/Route Preferences?

#2 Post by papillon »

Different people will have different preferences; make the story you want to make!

I could tell you what I personally prefer but it might not be the same as the next poster, and for many of us, it really all depends on the details of how you pull it off.

dmasterxd
Regular
Completed: Mage Wars
Projects: Falling Star
Organization: Star Guide

#3 Post by dmasterxd »

I’m going to have to second what Papillon said. Some people like to have one main character with multiple different love interests, others prefer to have different protagonists, and others just don’t care.

Yes, there is probably a majority somewhere, even if it may be by a slim margin, but honestly I don’t think it’s a good idea to fall into the trap of trying to be “unique” or “different”. Nothing is original anymore. Trust me, I fell into that trap myself and making that game that was built around what other people wanted, was just more of a chore than anything (and it showed). So yeah, I agree that you should make your game how you want to make it.

Elta
Regular
Tumblr: limitelta
Deviantart: limitelta
itch: limitelta

#4 Post by Elta »

I like the sound of both, both would be so much fun! 😃

I think as the others said, make it how you want to make it. It's hard to pull off making a game (or anything) if your whole heart isn't in it... you need to just go with what feels right. It will matter little what is normally popular (or not popular) if you make an enjoyable game.

verysunshine
Veteran
Organization: Wild Rose Interactive

#5 Post by verysunshine »

Just do what you want, but keep it simple and small to start with. Even something simple can have unexpected challenges.

Build the basics first, then add all the fun bits.

Please check out my games on my itch.io page!