Occidental, or Oriental?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

Occidental, or Oriental?

#1 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Since these games are originating in English, do you think they should use western culture? Or should they use Japanese culture, because that's where the genre first came from?

On one hand, I'd really like to use Japanese culture, to give the game the same kind of flavor that most anime has.

But on the other hand, trying to emulate Japanese culture feels like a very transparent lie. The game isn't going to be produced in Japan. I know that, and the people who play the game will most likely know that. I guess I'm just wondering if people will think it's dumb to play an American game, that emulates Japanese.

I know I shouldn't let the opinions of others affect how I make my game (especially when I'm not trying to sell it), because it is MY vision, after all. I should be most concerned with creating something that I can be proud of myself. And so, I think I've already made my decision, but I'm still wondering what everyone else thinks.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#2 Post by mikey »

God, I was about to go home for the day, but you had to post this interesting topic!!

From my point of view, I really do want to give that Japanese feeling into my games, but mostly just the aura, by naming characters and places Japanese. All other things I fear are not very Japanese.

But also the Japanese producers do this, look at Metal Gear Solid, or the anime Noir. Or the bishoujo game Eve Burst Error, there are countless examples. No one will seriously think they're dumb.

And IMO these light cultural crossovers produce the best games, because they usually show the idealistic and romantic views of the makers in respect to the other culture and realia. Most of the time when you spend time living in a society, be it in Japan, Europe or America, you will sort of get used to many things and not realize it until your friend from the other part of the world starts to admire the historical buildings and castles of Europe, while you're looking at the incredibly busy life in downtown Tokyo.

So I'd say go with what looks good to you. It's very good to give your game local flavor but also something special, from the traditional Japanese ren'ai industry. It's up to the designer to decide what those elements will be.

So as for me, I'm a fan of that little extra :wink:

bookie
Veteran

#3 Post by bookie »

Well, Ren'ai games aren't the most realistic things ever, so it won't be a problem if you portray a romantic type of Japan. Japanese do it all the time to America.

I like Japan, and I like things that deal with Japan. However, because I'm American, it would be virtually impossible for me to produce something Japanese, simply because I've been raised in a different way and exposed to different things. So even if your setting is in Japan it will still be an non-Japanese production.

All that means to me is that you can make a Japanese game and still have it be totally different from Japanese games from Japan. Using that sort of setting is fine to me. In fact I like the familiarity of it sometimes.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#4 Post by papillon »

I guess consistency is a big issue for me.

It's fine by me if your characters have Japanese names and not much else. But if you *explicitly* set your game in modern Japan then suddenly my expectations change and I want to see quirky cultural things and accurate details. It's fun to pick up little bits of information through games and anime, and I'll be disappointed if they're not there.

I didn't like Noir well enough to remember it in such detail to give good examples, but it's not set in Japan, and while iirc everyone magically speaks Japanese anyway, the cultural atmosphere (the look of the streets, the shops and cafes, the baguette-in-a-bag) is very different. I don't know much about Corsica, but I did take French classes long enough for things they showed to look familiar. :)

I guess what I'm saying is.... if your game is going to actually claim to be set in Japan, do your research. If you just want to use the names and some samurai swords, that's fine, but don't say "This is Japan!" anywhere - and avoid place names? :)

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

I'm glad to see people are ok with, or even in favor of, this. I'm not really interested in saying "This is Japan"- the actual location isn't too important I think. In fact, in all the ren'ai games I've played, they didn't say a single thing about what Country the story took place in. All I'm interested in is using Japanese character names, place names (only Japanese sounding- not actual specific places), clothing possibly, and other culturally specific things anime fans would recognize as being Japanese- such as name suffixes, or bowing out of respect- that kind of thing.

RedSlash
Veteran

#6 Post by RedSlash »

I should be most concerned with creating something that I can be proud of myself.
I agree with this completely.

I think it shouldn't matter what culture you choose to work with. But usually, when authors write about other cultures, a good deal of research is done beforehand. I wouldn't worry too much as a fan game, since everything is fictional anyways.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#7 Post by rioka »

Just as long as you do your research or explain why Japanese-named folks are in the middle of (enter place here), then you can do whatever you want with your story. If you want, you can do a ren'ai game about Japanese folks in a heavily concentrated Japanese area in America. There are places like those in real life.

Yang Sei Fu
Regular

#8 Post by Yang Sei Fu »

That's why I have to be careful NOT to mention any places I'm not familiar with. While I'm familiar with Japanese and Chinese culture, I have to be certain not to explicitly mention where in Japan the novel is set...

Meanwhile, Toronto is explicitly mentioned. XD
I could be very generic, or I could be very specific. Mention what you know.
=/| ClearWind Design Studios |\=

#9 Post by Guest »

Well, I'm a stickler for authenticity. Therefore, I'd prefer Western names if the setting is going to be Western.

However, the Japanese aspect really does attract me to this genre. As a fan, I understand the inclination to add Japanese flavor as a tribute. So far, the creators have done a respectable job without going overboard (as in bad fan-fiction. IMO, it's rather silly and pretentious to abruptly shift from American English to 'You baka!' or 'Sayoonara'. Now how about a line like 'My name is Junko, yorushiku!'?).

Personally, I'd be reluctant to tackle a Japan-based story myself, for fear of being unable to do it justice. Research alone isn't enough to truly understand the culture. There're so many small, but important details: cultural customs, social etiquette (very rigid and apparent in everyday life), group values, even language and phrasing (for instance, I couldn't have a character communicating with the directness I'm accustomed to.....unless said character is supposed to be particularly shameless). For me, I'd really want some kind of "cultural consultant" and editor.

Nonetheless, this doesn't mean we shouldn't try. After all, we're doing this for fun.
Or should they use Japanese culture, because that's where the genre first came from?
No game form should be limited to a particular culture. The genre hasn't really been adapted for other countries (mainly because of poor market potential......I mean, these are already niche products in Japan. The vast majority of gamers don't touch 'em, despite certain misconceptions and stereotypes!), but that doesn't mean it isn't viable.

If you'd enjoy making a game set in Germany (again, authenticity would be a big plus), then go for it. Additionally, art doesn't have to be limited to Japanese conventions.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#10 Post by Taleweaver »

The reason why I (German) have never thought of writing scripts for a game set in Germany is the simple fact that I PLAY games to escape from my normal routine, and setting a game around places I know sound counter-intuitive to me ^_^
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by mikey »

eclipse wrote:Just as long as you do your research or explain why Japanese-named folks are in the middle of (enter place here), then you can do whatever you want with your story. If you want, you can do a ren'ai game about Japanese folks in a heavily concentrated Japanese area in America. There are places like those in real life.
Or, you can invent your own "world", which for instance looks like the US, but everything has Japanese names (simple and effective, just like Tales of Lemma)

Yang Sei Fu
Regular

#12 Post by Yang Sei Fu »

I see the market slowly heading towards a more English-based world, but first the products (free or not) released here will be based off Japanese culture...the springboard concept.

English names are quite hard to manage at times, because sometimes the names just sound flat (unless that's the way you want it). So try to find names that deliver some meaning...

Agnes.
=/| ClearWind Design Studios |\=

bookie
Veteran

#13 Post by bookie »

mikey wrote:
eclipse wrote:Just as long as you do your research or explain why Japanese-named folks are in the middle of (enter place here), then you can do whatever you want with your story. If you want, you can do a ren'ai game about Japanese folks in a heavily concentrated Japanese area in America. There are places like those in real life.
Or, you can invent your own "world", which for instance looks like the US, but everything has Japanese names (simple and effective, just like Tales of Lemma)
This is what I always do. Instead of wondering about authenticity, or whether or not one setting might be better than another. I simply make my own settings and base my games off of that. Of course, I'm a big fantasy buff so that sort of thing is both natrual and interesting to me. If you're interested in a more down to earth story I don't know how well that would work.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by mikey »

Yang Sei Fu wrote:English names are quite hard to manage at times, because sometimes the names just sound flat (unless that's the way you want it).
It will depend on where you are though. Natalia, Katarina, Zuzana, Sonia, Martina, Alexandra, Eva, Silvia ... are everyday's names where I come from. They seem ordinary to me, but I can imagine them sounding exotic to someone else.

So then (arguably) if you choose the names from a different culture than the setting, your game will have a fresh element for both sides, the ones who are accustomed to the setting will find the names a welcome change, while those accustomed to the names will find the setting exotic.

It of course depends on whether that approach is appropriate for the thing you want to express. A Samurai drama may really work best in a Japanese forest with Japanese names.

RedSlash
Veteran

#15 Post by RedSlash »

Well, if it's a western culture and you're using Japanese names for all characters (unless the characters have some kind of Japanese decent), I would find that kind of weird.

Usually, I would probably name characters according to the culture. However, you could try against this and see what happens.