Template/Theme maker for Ren'Py

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Template Maker for Ren'Py, What Life
Github: lunalucid
Soundcloud: LunaLucidMusic
itch: lunalucid

Template/Theme maker for Ren'Py

#1 Post by namastaii »

A while back (I can't find the post but) I mentioned creating a theme/template maker that requires little to no coding. Basically a program you open up and use the interface to select things relating to theme, colors, items you want included in the game. Nothing too complex but pretty flexible and allows for a lot of customization.

Does anyone feel this is too much and that people should be required to program their own game and learn everything from scratch? I feel like Ren'Py engine itself is an example of making dev's lives easier and I personally felt like doing this type of project anyway because it appealed to me and I had a lot of support for the idea before.

I'd like to know your opinions and also any input especially if you have requests to be included in the template maker. Basically, the way it's programmed right now, is once you've set up everything to your liking, it exports a folder with all the scripts and folders necessary that you can use in ren'py directory just like you would after creating a new theme/game on ren'py directly. The difference with this is it's just simply more in depth and more interactive with more choices than just a color scheme.

I have started working on this recently and have gotten a good amount done so far. I'd like to hear any ideas of what to include and I'm open to hear why you'd think this isn't something people want or is necessary because I can see that side too.

Also, I believe I'll be uploading this to itch.io. Do you think this should/could be something put up for a price? What would you pay for something like this assuming it was done well?

verysunshine
Veteran
Organization: Wild Rose Interactive

Re: Template/Theme maker for Ren'Py

#2 Post by verysunshine »

I feel like this would be useful. A template maker would be handy with the current version of the Ren'Py GUI, as there are many elements to keep track of. Most GUIs in Creative Commons don't have a full set of images. It would be a great stepping stone between using the default items and creating items from scratch. I would definitely pay for something like that, but I have no idea if others would.

Build the basics first, then add all the fun bits.

Please check out my games on my itch.io page!

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#3 Post by namastaii »

Thank you for the input! :) there is definitely a lot to keep track of

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

I think it's a great idea personally.

I made a start on my own WYSIWYG GUI editor some years back but it's been on hold for a long time. Perhaps we could collaborate?

I do have a few projects that require attention first before I can focus on others, however.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

arty
Regular
Completed: White Monday
Projects: HATE is a 4 Letter Word
Organization: KATHARSIS ART
itch: artys-games

#5 Post by arty »

I think that's a really neat idea that many people would find useful. You shouldn't hesitate to charge money for it.

Will it allow to import custom images?

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by namastaii »

@Imperf3kt I think I've seen you mention at some point you were going to do something similar. (collaboration gives me anxiety but it's not a terrible idea) though I've put my other projects on hold for this one XD haha I just can't get into my game right now. The one I've been working on...for like 4 years x.x

@arty I'm going to make it as versatile as possible (to the best of my abilities since I'm actually learning a lot of things along the way as I develop this). I'll also be working more on it over time even after release so updates will be possible. It'll be for setting up the gui aspect and then images and normal scripting or anything extra can be done by the normal dev for the project after exporting the template however I'll see about including custom images for textbox or gui etc though this template maker might be most suitable for people who aren't trying to create a super cool original thing, probably more for beginners but I'm still aiming at a wide range of customization so we'll see what it turns into

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by namastaii »

I'm also wondering an appropriate name? Should I not include Ren'Py in the title (example: Ren'Py Template Maker) or even change it to something like 'Template Maker for Ren'Py' or maybe something completely different and/or without Ren'Py because I also don't want to overstep anything but also want it to be clear this will only be compatible for renpy

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#8 Post by Imperf3kt »

I would consider <name> for Ren'Py
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

verysunshine
Veteran
Organization: Wild Rose Interactive

#9 Post by verysunshine »

Template Maker for Ren'Py sounds good!

Build the basics first, then add all the fun bits.

Please check out my games on my itch.io page!

BearHead

#10 Post by BearHead »

namastaii wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:14 pm I feel like Ren'Py engine itself is an example of making dev's lives easier and I personally felt like doing this type of project anyway because it appealed to me and I had a lot of support for the idea before.
You (in my opinion) hit the nail square on the head here! Many newer devs without experience in graphic design or coding/funds to commission a custom UI would certainly appreciate this; any tool that helps fledgling developers personalize their projects or gain confidence in making polished work is great. I know I at least would adore a robust theme maker for personal VNs and would pay whatever price you set.

On the topic of wanting suggestions, perhaps something that supports the multiple dialogue style? There doesn't seem to be much in that vein and it's one of my favorite newer Ren'Py features. I have also seen a rise as of late in games that use customized NVL or special cellphone screens for texting/chatting online. Maybe that's something else to consider?

Thank you for thinking of this! :D

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#11 Post by namastaii »

@BearHead thank you^^ I just have no clue what range to even price it at right now. Not even an estimate so if anyone wanted to give price examples, please share haha. I haven't heard of the multiple dialogue thing, I'm going to look into that :) and yes some ideas I had for this was to have elements that could be included in the template including a money or stat system, a cell phone could be something too (but I'm also afraid to put programmers out of business XD) I have lots of ideas for that kind of stuff since I've already implemented them into my unfinished projects so those things aren't unfamiliar to me at all.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#12 Post by Donmai »

I like the idea.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)