Photograph Background Filters?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
[Hana]

Photograph Background Filters?

#1 Post by [Hana] »

Hello,

Maybe someone could help me. I am working on a VN right now, and I have absolutely no talent in painting backgrounds in the least. So I decided on using Photographs and putting them through filters. The game's story is fairly dark, so I've been trying to use filters fit the atmosphere of the story, but nothing really works.
I've seen a couple of VN's on here with filtered backgrounds (or at least what look like filtered backgrounds.), and I was wondering if anyone had tips on what kind of filters look best or any help on the matter.

Thank you!

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Photograph Background Filters?

#2 Post by Wintermoon »

Get better photographs and don't rely so much on filters.

Also, try turning down the saturation and/or playing with the color balance.

[Hana]

#3 Post by [Hana] »

Wintermoon wrote:Get better photographs and don't rely so much on filters.
Its not really that the quality of the photographs are bad, its more that filters are a personal preference. To me, using plain photographs looks kind of odd when you put a drawing in front of it.
Wintermoon wrote: Also, try turning down the saturation and/or playing with the color balance.

Thanks! I'll try that.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#4 Post by MaiMai »

[Hana] wrote:
Its not really that the quality of the photographs are bad, its more that filters are a personal preference. To me, using plain photographs looks kind of odd when you put a drawing in front of it.
It also depends on what your drawings look like against said background. A character sprite of high quality with a photograph of high quality usually works all right (ie. Katawa Shoujo), but that might not fit everyone's taste. But yes, color balance helps bring out the colors in a photograph very well.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

deerchan
Regular
Projects: Secrets, hoho >3

#5 Post by deerchan »

Hmm... If you use photoshop, the pencil/artistic filters can do wonders for darkening and making them look less realistic. It relies on colors, though, so set your colors to a grey and brown possibly. Also try using a filter that smoothes everything out, ect. Maybe play with layer styles.
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... &sk=t&sd=a
The Pet Project is up and running! Come join us!
We still need a background artist, coders, writers and demo testers.

I can be flat out stupid sometimes. Specially in forums. Please bare with me.

adrix89
Regular

#6 Post by adrix89 »

http://alanwho.com/photoshop/photoshop- ... c-filters/
Specially recommend cutout for images that have a small color pallet

luminarious
Veteran
Projects: Winter, winter

#7 Post by luminarious »

One option is to use Sketchup. Some of the bundled styles look quite artistic. From the warehouse you can even get ready-made models of trees, cars, teacups and whatever. It takes very little effort to learn too.

Rezznik
Regular
Projects: Aquae, Consonance

#8 Post by Rezznik »

Get Topaz Simply @ http://www.topazlabs.com/simplify/. While it isn't an all-in-one wonder solution for backgrounds...it definitely gives you a strong starting point.
Online Portfolio:
Background Artist, Musical Supervisor, QA Assurance: Aquae ~Crystal Clear Waters~
To those who are wondering what happened to Consonance, it has been put aside for the time being due to my job situation.

luminarious
Veteran
Projects: Winter, winter

#9 Post by luminarious »

http://www.fotosketcher.com/ is also very, very impressive. It makes excellent watercolours from your photos, has other effects as well. Go check out the gallery for proof. It even does batch processing, so you can do all backgrounds at once.. :D

[Hana]

#10 Post by [Hana] »

Thanks everyone :D This is really helpful!

this_barb
Regular

#11 Post by this_barb »

Why not try to trace the background? Nobody will blame you for it. Just put it on one layer, lower the opacity, and use the Pen tool (or alternatively, you can use a regular paintbrush with a tablet).

I also believe photographs look funky in visual novels simply because they exude more values of shading than "cell-shaded" characters do. It breaks the continuity of the character vs. the background.