Making a Portrait Android Quiz Game with Ren'Py

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
NaeemBolchhi

Making a Portrait Android Quiz Game with Ren'Py

#1 Post by NaeemBolchhi »

I'll be using this thread to mark my progress as I work on this. So, you'll see more content being added as I work on it. For now, I've done some coding to randomly choose 10 questions to ask the player from a finite number of questions (can be at least as many being asked, to as many I can type). But a landscape quiz game doesn't look too nice, neither fun to play. So, I'm dropping the main game for now and working on the UI. Wish me luck!

0.01: Made a quiz game that asks ten random questions from a question bank and tells you how many you did right or wrong. (Screenshot)
0.02: Opened a new project to create a Portrait (1080, 1920) GUI for the game. Working on Dialogue screen first. (Screenshot)
0.03: Added a screen resize settings in preferences (18:9 or 16:9). Made improvements with main menu and game menu.
Last edited by NaeemBolchhi on Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Making a Portrait Android Quiz Game with Ren'Py

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

In case it is of any use to you, there are two portrait mode GUIs already developed / in development that you could use if you prefer.
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=56021
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=56157

The first one is created in 720x1280 but can easily be changed to 1080x1920 with some simple math: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=53791 and changing the images used.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

NaeemBolchhi

Re: Making a Portrait Android Quiz Game with Ren'Py

#3 Post by NaeemBolchhi »

Imperf3kt wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:18 pm In case it is of any use to you, there are two portrait mode GUIs already developed / in development that you could use if you prefer.
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=56021
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=56157

The first one is created in 720x1280 but can easily be changed to 1080x1920 with some simple math: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=53791 and changing the images used.
It's great, but it is catered to the visual novel style. I don't have the graphics skill to make visual novels on my own. But I like Ren'Py so I'm trying to see what else I can do with it. I suppose I can grab ideas from them at least. Thank you.