Anybody want a Yaoi game?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
GorillaKick
Regular

Anybody want a Yaoi game?

#1 Post by GorillaKick »

I just got back from A-kon and...wow! I had no idea Yaoi was so popular! I mean, I caught in the middle of a mob of Yaoi fangirls (and boys...) crowding around a Kurama cosplayer...Anyway, I just wanted to know, is anyone interested in a Yaoi game? Not that I'm leeching off a popular media...
Last edited by GorillaKick on Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If liars make promises, then I'm a master craftsman.

bookie
Veteran

#2 Post by bookie »

I'm almost done coding a BL game already, and hopefuly the graphics will be coming soon too.

Not much into the smutty yaoi stuff but BL in general is good. =) I wouldn't be averse to something hard core though.

GorillaKick
Regular

#3 Post by GorillaKick »

Wow. That was a fast response. Hmm...yeah, I don't know a whole lot about Yaoi since I don't read it so...could you possibly tell me, maybe, something you would like to see in a BL (by the way, what does that mean?) game?

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#4 Post by papillon »

ANGST. (But isn't almost all yaoi angsty? :) )

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#5 Post by mikey »

BL = I assume contrary to the common belief "blue lemma" it actually stands for "boy(s) love"?

In my opinion, if you want to go for a BL game, there won't be many things different to any non-yaoi/yuri game. Personally, I haven't watched/read any yaoi or yuri material, but I don't think there's too many special things about a story with a relationship like that. It might help if you're knowledgeable about the community though so you can add some specific touches.

papillon>> yes, yes, just WHAT is angst?? I know just the German meaning (fear), but I've seen it being used increasingly in the English language. It sounds really funny to me, but it seems to be something oppresive/serious/moody... plz plz explain!

Shii
Regular

#6 Post by Shii »

mikey wrote:papillon>> yes, yes, just WHAT is angst?? I know just the German meaning (fear), but I've seen it being used increasingly in the English language. It sounds really funny to me, but it seems to be something oppresive/serious/moody... plz plz explain!
You have it basically down, except "whiny" too.

As for a BL game, I'm looking forward to any variety in genres :)

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#7 Post by papillon »

angst =

Oh woe is me, my life is so terrible, my father killed himself because he was in debt to an evil businessman and couldn't pay the bills and now my sister is going to be forced to marry him and I'm secretly in love with the evil businessman's son but it will be SO DISHONORABLE if I admit it that I will have to KILL MYSELF because OH GOD IT'S SO HARD TO BE GAY EVERYONE HATES ME I HATE THE WORLD

*slashes wrists*

Basically, yeah, Stuff that's depressing and you COMPLAIN about LOUDLY. :)

The more stupidly complicated and miserable the situation is, the more fun! Accidentally impregnated your sister just before she was kidnapped by aliens from an alternate dimension and now you're faced with telling the truth to your one true love and losing her forever or letting your sister and your illicit incestuous mutant love child die a horrible death? OH TEH ANGST!

bookie
Veteran

#8 Post by bookie »

^ Yup. Gotta love the angst.

BL does in fact stand for Boys Love, but around these forums the more common translation is Blue Lemma

In Western fandom, the translation is sort of like this. Yaoi means hardcore smut with little plot. Shounen-ai focuses more on the romantic, character dynamic part of gay love, and BL is sort of the blanket term for everything.

In Japan shounen-ai is all but completely obscure, last I checked, and they also have a term called June that they throw around sometimes too. Check out http://www.aestheticism.com if you want more info.

As far as games go, Boys Love game is the accepted term. That's the search that will get you the most hits, if you know what I mean.

GorillaKick
Regular

#9 Post by GorillaKick »

Okee-dokee...I think I understand now...but it probably won't be finished for a while. I'm currently working on another game. Dunno what it's going to be called but...it's an H game! Check it out when it's done! *shameless plug*

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#10 Post by mikey »

papillon wrote:angst = Oh woe is me, my life is so terrible, my father killed himself because he was in debt to an evil businessman and couldn't pay the bills and now my sister is going to be forced to marry him and I'm secretly in love with the evil businessman's son but it will be SO DISHONORABLE if I admit it that I will have to KILL MYSELF because OH GOD IT'S SO HARD TO BE GAY EVERYONE HATES ME I HATE THE WORLD ... Stuff that's depressing and you COMPLAIN about LOUDLY. :)
Ah! Shinji Ikari! ^_^
I guess in this aspect angst is more or less a slightly better-sounding word for self-pity, huh.

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#11 Post by kara24601 »

#12 Post by Guest »

yes yaoi :D :D :D :D

Dre
Regular

Re: Anybody want a Yaoi game?

#13 Post by Dre »

GorillaKick wrote:I just got back from A-kon and...wow!
You went to A-kon? Cool! I went to A-kon too!