A Ren'Py Template Maker (seeking feature suggestions)

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Template Maker for Ren'Py, What Life
Github: lunalucid
Soundcloud: LunaLucidMusic
itch: lunalucid

A Ren'Py Template Maker (seeking feature suggestions)

#1 Post by namastaii »

I've brought it up before but this is an ongoing (slow) project of mine. I've been working on it on and off, taking my time on it while I'm also focusing on other areas of my life (and other projects)

but I would really like some input if anyone has any :) While I'm working on this, I would like to keep in mind anyone's suggestions/ideas so I can implement some along the way.

Basically, the way this tool works currently is (I'll probably just make this an executable rather than a project folder you access through renpy),
You open the tool/program. You'll start a new template design, name the template/game, some other data and choose a save location for where this template will be exported. The template will be exported as a regular renpy game folder you can drop into your renpy projects folder and you'll be able to start working on your game with the layout/design already done.

The tool is just a visual way to set up how your game looks cutting a lot of time down by manually entering styles, positions etc. After naming the new design, you'll start in a live preview screen and choose what elements will be on a normal/main screen, where to place them (textbox, info bars, multiple textbox positions if you're using multiple dialogue) as well as colors, opacity. You can create a color palette to refer to and work off of or enter in colors manually. Choose text size, text/name tag locations. You get the idea.

This is currently all I have programmed in so far and will be adding in areas to customize screens as well. So far this has been a fun project and I hope that when it's done, it'll be useful for those who are interested in downloading/purchasing it.

All of that being said, what are some ideas you guys have that would be helpful to include? What would you like to see in this tool? Thanks^^
I've considered maybe starting a dev blog for this if it ends up being a big enough project but I'm not entirely sure..

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

Re: A Ren'Py Template Maker (seeking feature suggestions)

#2 Post by parttimestorier »

I think it could be great if you tried to make it easy to integrate with some different accessibility options, like these ones! I've been meaning to start including more stuff like this in my projects, and I would love it if a template like yours could make it less intimidating to try to get them all working in a custom GUI.
ImageImageImage

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#3 Post by namastaii »

Definitely, could include those^^

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: None
Projects: Maddox and Friends! (AI Teacher friend), Friendly Universities! (Soon)
Organization: Friendly Teachers series
Deviantart: SophBelle
itch: Child Creation

#4 Post by isobellesophia »

I dont think this has been suggested but i would like to add a feature to upload an image on it, color out of an textbox and such, stylish designs such as flowers and leaves... and the buttons on the main menu too, and other screen styles that its on renpy such as (save slots, namebox, textbox, and the other gui styles like scrollbars and idle buttons.)

Thats all! Im very exited once you will done making this project of yours. :D
I am a friendly user, please respect and have a good day.

foleso
Regular
Completed: Demon Kiss, Rustea Conversation, Love Rewind, Crown & Cauldron
Projects: Franken Tutor
Organization: Foleso
Tumblr: foleso
Deviantart: foleso
Github: foleso
itch: Foleso

#5 Post by foleso »

namastaii wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:35 pm snip
This would be insanely helpful! I would LOVE something that would have a live visual editor. Something where you can visually position certain elements, and it automatically generates the co-ordinates. I'm not sure if that's possible, but it would be great ♥

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by namastaii »

Yeah, as you place everything, it will set the right numbers/coordinates in the exported files :)