Copyright for posing?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
leviathanimation
Regular
Completed: Tyrania visual novel
Projects: Making multiple animations
Deviantart: leviathanimation
itch: leviathanimation

Copyright for posing?

#1 Post by leviathanimation »

So if I use a random character art from google just as a reference for my character, like a reference for the pose and even the light and shadows, is it copying? Do I have to provide credit to the original artist for the pose? It would be weird if a pose would be copyrighted so..? :shock:

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Copyright for posing?

#2 Post by fleet »

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.
From what you describe, you should not be violating copyright law.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

GNVE
Regular
Completed: ShSt - Bad Day
Projects: ShSt - Afterparty, Collings University
itch: https://gnve.itch.io

#3 Post by GNVE »

Same disclaimer
Copyright often isn't a yes or no binary answer but more of a greyscale where if enough elements are the same it will eventually add up to substantially similar. If you only use the pose and lighting as a reference you should probably be alright.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

Just make sure you don't rotoscope the image, as that will be seen as a derivative of the original work.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#5 Post by Imperf3kt »

mh6562086 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:49 pm Copyright is violated if you use this product without personal changes for commercial purposes. If you need it to somehow change or modify it or improve it is not a violation of copyright
This is not right, I suggest you look up copyright laws, there are many and they all have different things you are or are not allowed to do with the file/image/thing.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

ISAWHIM
Veteran

#6 Post by ISAWHIM »

Copy, under most normal "legal", circumstances is "Without change to the original", a duplicate, not a "derivative work". Which, would obviously be, "a derivative work". (Which there are many "fair-use" acceptions for, in various countries.)

Unless there is actually a "legally registered copyright", with a clear claim of ownership... Even a derivative work would be of little "winnable grounds", in a court of law. Honestly, it truly depends on too many factors that any single non-copyright-lawyer could not "claim", to be certain of. Thus, the need to hire a specific lawyer, for the task, if it is actually needed. (In most cases, it isn't needed. In situations where the work of art is a "derivative".)

You have to remember that only a judge can truly determine legality. Anyone-else is just an adviser. It costs money to actually sue people. Most cases are settled out of court and either end-up in compensations or simple friendly "take-downs", being honored.