Non-VN gameplay: pygame or other lib?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Feldoran

Non-VN gameplay: pygame or other lib?

#1 Post by Feldoran »

Hello!

What is the best way today to implement alternate gameplays in a Ren'Py VN?
(not talking about doing a full arcade game with it... but to have VN phases alterning with more tactics gameplays, for example)

Are there any natural links between Ren'Py and some libs like Pygame, Pyglet, and so on?

Thx!

Per K Grok
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: the Ghost Pilot, Sea of Lost Ships, Bubbles and the Pterodactyls, Defenders of Adacan Part 1-3, the Phantom Flyer
itch: per-k-grok

Re: Non-VN gameplay: pygame or other lib?

#2 Post by Per K Grok »

Feldoran wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:42 pm Hello!

What is the best way today to implement alternate gameplays in a Ren'Py VN?
(not talking about doing a full arcade game with it... but to have VN phases alterning with more tactics gameplays, for example)

Are there any natural links between Ren'Py and some libs like Pygame, Pyglet, and so on?

Thx!
There are different ways of adding arcade type of mini-games in ren'py.

I do that a lot in my games.

See my game in progress
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=57062

I often try out an idea first using pygame and then remake in ren'py. Which might be a backward way of doing it, but it works for me.

I don't have a simple one size fits all solution to offer you, and I certainly is not the most skillful programmer around. I'm more like the mechanic that fixes everything with duct tape and chewinggum. :)

But I'm happy to share my solutions if you see anything in the stuff I'm doing that you find interesting to use.

But first you should probably check out the cook book section. There are a lot of useful stuff there.