Character Sprite Question

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Chanda
Regular
Projects: Aella of Athens (WIP)
Organization: Visual Butterfly
Deviantart: spowers161
itch: visualbutterfly

Character Sprite Question

#1 Post by Chanda »

Hi, my artist and I are having trouble on how one of our characters should look! We're doing a Greek Mythology visual novel for NaNoRenO 2020 this year and we're doing a demo. This character as many know her under the name of Persephone.

I initially had her as black haired with red eyes when one of my friends liked her as blonde hair with red eyes. My artist said we should try white hair with red eyes. So my artist has sent me three concepts and I am having so much trouble deciding! So for NaNoRenO, we are using the flats due to time constraints in the game, but we do plan to continue working after NaNoRenO on this project. I have created a poll with the character so please take a look if you would!

https://www.surveylegend.com/s/250g

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Character Sprite Question

#2 Post by Zelan »

From a mythology standpoint - Persephone is Hades's husband and lives part-time in the underworld, but she is also the daughter of Demeter, goddess of the harvest. Demeter is often associated with things like prosperity, springtime, and the harvest, as was Persephone before she married Hades.

If you want to decide on her appearance purely from an aesthetic standpoint, or if you have any other reasons for her hair color (i.e. living in the underworld for so long has bleached it or turned it black), that's up to you, of course! It's mostly just a personal preference but I would be interested in seeing attention to detail like that which draws from the myths. (:

Good luck with your game! I love Greek mythology so I'll definitely be interested in seeing it. (And, if you haven't seen already, the NaNo deadline on itch.io has been extended for two weeks due to the circumstances of the world, so if you need extra time to polish your demo you have it!)

Chanda
Regular
Projects: Aella of Athens (WIP)
Organization: Visual Butterfly
Deviantart: spowers161
itch: visualbutterfly

#3 Post by Chanda »

Zelan wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:49 pm From a mythology standpoint - Persephone is Hades's husband and lives part-time in the underworld, but she is also the daughter of Demeter, goddess of the harvest. Demeter is often associated with things like prosperity, springtime, and the harvest, as was Persephone before she married Hades.

If you want to decide on her appearance purely from an aesthetic standpoint, or if you have any other reasons for her hair color (i.e. living in the underworld for so long has bleached it or turned it black), that's up to you, of course! It's mostly just a personal preference but I would be interested in seeing attention to detail like that which draws from the myths. (:

Good luck with your game! I love Greek mythology so I'll definitely be interested in seeing it. (And, if you haven't seen already, the NaNo deadline on itch.io has been extended for two weeks due to the circumstances of the world, so if you need extra time to polish your demo you have it!)
Thank you for your input! I appreciate your answer and it has given me something to think about with her hair changing. While the deadline has been extended, it helps for me as a writer, but not so much for my artist as she has already made it known that she will be joining another jam starting the 10th. We weren't aware of the deadline extension until after this, but we do plan to continue working on the game, no doubt.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#4 Post by trooper6 »

I voted blonde for many of the reasons Zelan mentioned. Persephone is an agricultural goddess...she is a goddess of springtime and life and the harvest and all the stuff, in that context, blonde makes sense to me...rather than "Gothier" hair colors.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#5 Post by Zelan »

trooper6 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:14 am I voted blonde for many of the reasons Zelan mentioned. Persephone is an agricultural goddess...she is a goddess of springtime and life and the harvest and all the stuff, in that context, blonde makes sense to me...rather than "Gothier" hair colors.
Rereading my own post, I realized I somehow forgot to mention that my reasoning also led me to vote for blonde. Sorry for any confusion, spowers.