VN Zine - An Online Zine for Visual Novel Developers

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

VN Zine - An Online Zine for Visual Novel Developers

#1 Post by sasquatchii »

Hello!

We recently launched the first issue of VN Zine, a digital-only zine, made with the goal of connecting & inspiring other visual novel creators and people involved in making them by featuring them in various stories & articles!

We don't necessarily discuss the latest news, or review visual novels, but instead we focus on more general topics that we feel would be relevant to visual novel creators.

In the first issue of VN Zine, we feature articles and stories from six different people: @empodosek, @JKaty133, @parttimestorier, @sasuganick, @steamgirlgame, and @WafflesRtheBest.

The articles in the first issue of the zine cover a wide range of topics, including things such as game jams, kickstarter campaigns, choice design, and technical tools of the trade.

You can find the first issue and all future issues of VN Zine on itch.io here: https://sasquatchii.itch.io/vn-zine-issue-1.

--------------

List of Issues:

Issue 1 | March 2020:
Articles: Customizeable Character Tutorial, 20 Tools for VN Devs, Getting Started With Game Jams: Advice for Aspiring Writers, That's the Idea!, Story Grids, Funding Camden, Into the Weeds, Choice Design: 4 Common Choice Types, Meet Katy133, Meet the Writers

--------------

Also, within the next few weeks, we will be taking article submissions for the second issue of the zine! Anyone who would like to contribute is welcome to submit an article or idea.

I'd love to hear back from people on potential topics that they'd like to see in future issues! I'm also curious to know if anyone here has any ideas on how to improve the zine, and make it even better.

Any thoughts/ideas/feedback/critique would be much appreciated!
ImageImage

Elsa Kisiel
Regular
Completed: Shieldlock Holmes
Projects: Home Spatial Home

Re: VN Zine - An Online Zine for Visual Novel Developers

#2 Post by Elsa Kisiel »

That's a really great project! =D

I'm always looking forward for more articles/videos about visual novel development or game design in general, so I think it's a really interesting zine-concept!

Here's my feedback:

+ The layout of the zine is nice-looking
+ I actually wanted to learn how to make customizeable characters so that article was really helpful
+ I like how varied the articles are

- Some of the pictures with code are too tiny. Of course, I can zoom, since it's a digital PDF, but it's not comfortable.
Illustrator • Commission open: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=59346 • My portfolio: https://elsakisiel.artstation.com/

Take a cup of tea and let yourself be charmed by my stories and my drawings. Here, everything is bewitched and bewitching!

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#3 Post by trooper6 »

This is very cool! Thanks for making it and I'm looking forward to more!
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

cedes
Regular
itch: cedes

#4 Post by cedes »

This looks super nice! I'm gonna check it out and hope to see more!

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#5 Post by Morhighan »

Aaa I love zines, glad to see this. Can't wait to see more.

Leezil
itch: Leezil

#6 Post by Leezil »

I loved it! Some feedback: For the table of contents, I think it's more important to have links to the pages where each article starts, maybe I missed it but I ended up having to scroll up and down a lot. Linking both writer and page number would be best of course!
Very new to renpy, coding, making games etc. New but excited!
Current project: casual joke VN about my FFXIV raid group.