Credit Sequence with One Team Member

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
nihilloligasan
Projects: BFD
Tumblr: nihilloligasan
Deviantart: NihilLoliGasan
itch: nihilloligasan

Credit Sequence with One Team Member

#1 Post by nihilloligasan »

This is something that has been bothering me for a while. It's commonplace to have a credits sequence at the end of a piece of media, and it's a good way to signify the end of a work. But how would you go about a credit sequence in a VN if there's only one person working on the game (every asset of the development process done by a single person)? Would you list that person's name in every category in the sequence? Would you only list that person's name once with something along the lines of "created by" as a heading? Would you just not include credits at all? Are there other options I'm not aware of?

Elsa Kisiel
Regular
Completed: Shieldlock Holmes
Projects: Home Spatial Home

Re: Credit Sequence with One Team Member

#2 Post by Elsa Kisiel »

I think it depends of the tone of your piece:

-Crediting one single person on every role can give an humorous tone, like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mheN6soRZQ

-Just crediting that person once, in the opening or ending scene, with a "created by" give a more simple, elegant and serious mood.

-Personally, I like to credit myself in the "about" section. First, because it means I can put links in it and people can go click on it whenever they want. Secondly so that people who replay a lot don't have to watch the credit each time. But my games are pretty short for now: for a longer game, I would probably put credits in the opening scene.
Illustrator • Commission open: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=59346 • My portfolio: https://elsakisiel.artstation.com/

Take a cup of tea and let yourself be charmed by my stories and my drawings. Here, everything is bewitched and bewitching!

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#3 Post by papillon »

If you really did everything you could just end with "<Title> A game by <name>" and have that be the credits.

Or you could get carried away thanking all your pets and favorite plants :D

illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

#4 Post by illuminate001 »

Hey there!

I don’t know how far you are into development, but I think you’ll find that you’ll have others to credit as you go. :)

I create all my VNs on my own too (writing, coding and art) but I can’t do music and I get a lot of coding help/advice.

In your credits you’ll probably have to credit any royalty free music you use. Would you have proofreaders or playtesters? That’s more folks in your credits too. Etc etc
ImageImage
ImageImage

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

#5 Post by parttimestorier »

illuminate001 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:12 pm Hey there!

I don’t know how far you are into development, but I think you’ll find that you’ll have others to credit as you go. :)

I create all my VNs on my own too (writing, coding and art) but I can’t do music and I get a lot of coding help/advice.

In your credits you’ll probably have to credit any royalty free music you use. Would you have proofreaders or playtesters? That’s more folks in your credits too. Etc etc
I totally agree - you might just end up with really long credits by accident, or if you've done almost everything yourself but you want the credits to be longer for the aesthetic, it's easy to find lots more reasons to add people. I personally use a lot of creative commons music and sound effects, and even if some of them are released under licenses that don't necessarily require attribution, I still think it's nice to credit everyone. You can end up using a whole lot of sound effects you didn't think about earlier once you start fine-tuning your game and realizing things like "oh I wrote that she slammed the door there, that would be a good thing to have a sound for," etc. I also like to have a "special thanks" section in the credit for people who helped out a little even if they didn't really do a specific job, like people who posted tutorials on here that helped me with my programming a lot, or friends who helped out with brainstorming ideas and things. So even in projects that are primarily just me writing and programming plus one or two artists, I can end up with credits that go on for a while.
ImageImageImage

jdhthegr8
Regular
Projects: Fractured Spirits- A war drama set in a fictional world with WW2/Cold War themes

#6 Post by jdhthegr8 »

Personally, I say it's hard to go wrong with the Neil Breen approach (22:02 in this video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L4g3H_TM28&t=22m02s

illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

#7 Post by illuminate001 »

Lol, I’ve been on a Neil Breen kick lately and the first time I saw how he did his credits, I lost my mind in hysteria. The brilliance is in his unawareness.

So I totally agree with everything you’ve suggested. Lol!
ImageImage
ImageImage