Meme Persona Girlfriend Visual Novel

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Potato Cat Games

Meme Persona Girlfriend Visual Novel

#1 Post by Potato Cat Games »

So like I'm working on a new project that involves dating personification of anything in existence. Got any idea's for things I should personify in my game?

- PP
Last edited by Potato Cat Games on Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Meme Persona Girlfriend Visual Novel

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

Are you talking about anthropomorphism or actual personification?
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Potato Cat Games

#3 Post by Potato Cat Games »

Imperf3kt wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:03 am Are you talking about anthropomorphism or actual personification?
Like Earth-chan.

- PP
Last edited by Potato Cat Games on Thu May 21, 2020 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lummoire

#4 Post by lummoire »

Makes me think of Merryweather's webcomics haha (all the game consoles, a whole series on Internet Explorer and Co., even Elon Musk lol).

Food's probably done a fair bit (I have food on my mind all the time fff), maybe...
- playing card suits?
- plants?
- school subjects? idek
- weapon types? (a la Fate)

No idea what you're going for, though of all things, my brain is still stuck on food. A harem of ice cream flavors sounds nice...

fierylion
itch: fierylion

#5 Post by fierylion »

There's a treasure trove of such morph-ism at r/MoeMorphism

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: None
Projects: Maddox and Friends! (AI Teacher friend), Friendly Universities! (Soon)
Organization: Friendly Teachers series
Deviantart: SophBelle
itch: Child Creation

#6 Post by isobellesophia »

I think it is at best in objects, personality (ex grumpy chan, sad chan), or maybe even mental illness like depression or paranoia would be cool and bacteria and such, maybe thats all i knew, hope it gave you ideas.
I am a friendly user, please respect and have a good day.

Milkymalk
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Don't Look (AGS game)
Projects: KANPEKI! ★Perfect Play★
Organization: Crappy White Wings

#7 Post by Milkymalk »

Do weekdays: Monday is pessimistic and grumpy, Thursday is exhausted but full of hope, Friday is aloof and lazy, Saturday is the fun-loving happy one, Sunday has so much to do but no time, and so on. ("and so on" means I have no ideas for Tuesday and Wednesday ;))
Crappy White Wings (currently quite inactive)
Working on: KANPEKI!
(On Hold: New Eden, Imperial Sea, Pure Light)

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: None
Projects: Maddox and Friends! (AI Teacher friend), Friendly Universities! (Soon)
Organization: Friendly Teachers series
Deviantart: SophBelle
itch: Child Creation

#8 Post by isobellesophia »

I have an idea for sunday though, it seems it should be a nun or a priest, since many people go to church and pray when its sunday, especially in our country, for that.
I am a friendly user, please respect and have a good day.

Milkymalk
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Don't Look (AGS game)
Projects: KANPEKI! ★Perfect Play★
Organization: Crappy White Wings

#9 Post by Milkymalk »

Haha, true. I'm not religious at all, so I didn't think of that. For me, Sunday is the day when I realize that I wanted to do so much stuff over the weekend and failed miserably :D
Crappy White Wings (currently quite inactive)
Working on: KANPEKI!
(On Hold: New Eden, Imperial Sea, Pure Light)

Kuiper
Regular
Completed: Cursed Lands, Trial by Fire
Projects: Necrobarista, Idol Manager
Organization: Route 59 Games
Tumblr: kuiperblog

#10 Post by Kuiper »

I'd add that a lot of the charm from seeing moe anthropomorphism comes from seeing the various characters behave in characteristic ways; it's not just about the art, but the personalities. One of the oldest examples of this is the OS-tan meme, of which ME-tan may be the most famous, because she frequently fails at the things she tries to do while irritating everyone, something that should feel familiar to anyone who had to deal with Windows ME and its frequent crashes. Contrast her with 2k-tan, her more dependable and reliable sister.
Similarly, if you look at Merryweather's comics, one of the more notable things about Switch-chan is that she's a bit childish and innocently naive, which is in character for a platform that is usually associated with "kid's games."

Of course, that may not be your goal here: maybe you just want characters that are "blank slates" that you can project whatever personality you want them to. If you base characters on different suits of cards (heart/spade/club/diamond), a lot of people won't have pre-existing associations with a lot of the iconography, apart from a few like the Queen of Hearts (who made an appearance in Alice in Wonderland), the Ace of Spades (which is associated with war and death), and the joker (who is often a jester, a trickster, or a "wild card"). If you wanted to have a story with four factions that only have loose associations.

If you want to base your characters' personalities on the concepts that inspired them, I'd recommend choosing a subject where you (or your project's writer) are knowledgeable. I personally think it would be fun to see a visual novel with characters based on different musical genres, because musical genres lend themselves to different styles of fashion and personalities. For example, everyone conjures up a certain mental image when thinking about genres like "punk," "emo," and "metal." (If you want to get even more specific, you could talk about genres like viking metal. Maybe viking metal is metal's weird cousin who comes to visit for a short period.) However, part of the reason I'd personally enjoy that subject is because I've spent quite a bit of time at live music shows and festivals, and know first-hand that the mosh pit at a ska concert is very different from the mosh pit at a metal concert: it would be cool if someone created a musical cast that took into account all of the various idiosyncrasies of various musical genres: part of what makes the OS-tan characters ME-tan and 2k-tan work is that they're conceived by people who understand the difference between these two operating systems; likewise, if I were reading a story with anthropomorphizations of different musical genres, I'd want it to be written by someone who (for example) understood the difference between house music and EDM, and was able to tell a story where house acted as a parent or older sibling to EDM, or something like that. "Rap music" doesn't have to be a single character; you could create an entire clique (or heck, even an entire game) based off the different varieties of rap music that exist.

What's a subject that you know a lot about and could write about with enthusiasm? That's what I'd like to read about.
Necrobarista - serve coffee to the living and the dead
Idol Manager - experience the glamour and dangers of the pop idol industry
Cursed Lands - a mix of high fantasy and gothic horror