What kind of people are required for an otome game to be made?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
XBDC36
Regular

Re: What kind of people are required for an otome game to be made?

#16 Post by XBDC36 »

XBDC36 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:03 am
Mutive wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:27 am I haven't been super active in fan communities for a bit, but I'd agree with Elsa as far as reaching out specifically to people within that community. Fanfiction.net or AO3 typically has a number of fan fiction writers who you can directly contact. I'd probably PM them, explain the game, maybe share whatever you have in demo form on something free like itch.io or a Google folder (or at least have it ready to share - again, any assets you have make this seem more like a Real Thing rather than a fantasy that will never materialize).

My guess is that you'll find interest. There are a number of people wiling to beta even really awful stories, and I'd guess there'd be a lot of interest in a game (especially one that's fun, unique and directed at a community they've already been involved in).
I guess that could also be an option. Me and the other person wanted to keep this a secret so that it would be a surprise to the community. Maybe that's still possible, but of course I'm willing to ask for help from the actual community if keeping it a secret doesn't go anywhere.
But in conclusion, both you and Elsa are basically saying that a demo would help gain traction for volunteers, yeah?
Not very active, but never dead

Elsa Kisiel
Regular
Completed: Shieldlock Holmes
Projects: Home Spatial Home

#17 Post by Elsa Kisiel »

XBDC36 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:08 am But in conclusion, both you and Elsa are basically saying that a demo would help gain traction for volunteers, yeah?
Hm, not exactly. It might help, but other assets might help too, so, you'll need to choose on what you want to spend your time and resources. Sometimes, a few beautiful drawings and a good summary can be more efficient.

If you make a demo, you need it to be convincing. Especially since a demo need to be downloaded and launched, which take more time than looking at a presentation post, and feel less safe too. If you contact people who doesn't know you, that means they will have to download an .exe file from a link given from a stranger, after all. Unless you make your demo run on a web page, which means no download.
Illustrator • Commission open: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=59346 • My portfolio: https://elsakisiel.artstation.com/

Take a cup of tea and let yourself be charmed by my stories and my drawings. Here, everything is bewitched and bewitching!

XBDC36
Regular

#18 Post by XBDC36 »

Elsa Kisiel wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:38 am
XBDC36 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:08 am But in conclusion, both you and Elsa are basically saying that a demo would help gain traction for volunteers, yeah?
Hm, not exactly. It might help, but other "asset" might help too, so, you'll need to choose on what you want to spend your time and resources. Sometimes, a few beautiful drawings and a good summary can be more efficient. So, if you make a demo, you need it to be convincing. Especially since a demo need to be downloaded and launched, which take more time than looking at a presentation post, and feel less safe too. If you contact people who doesn't know you, that means they will have to download an .exe file from a link given from a stranger, after all. Unless you make your demo run on a web page, which means no download.
Alright, thanks for your suggestion. This gave me the idea to maybe make a website instead(I'm not sure how that will go, but that's why I said maybe)!

Mutive
Veteran
Completed: Eidolon, Minion!, Love Furever, Epilogue

#19 Post by Mutive »

As long as you PMed people, it would stay more or less secret. (You could even ask whoever you spoke with not to share details/even that it exists, although I'd be wary of being too "THIS IS THE BIGGEST SECRET EVER" as that sometimes seems a little weird/suspicious.)

Again, I can't say that you'd get a guaranteed response, even if you asked a number of people. But I know that, back in my fandom days, if someone had PMed me and said, "I really love your writing! <<Insert specific things you love>> I'm working on a VN with an artist, but was hoping for another writer to bounce ideas off/edit/write and was hoping you'd be interested!" I'd both be flattered and most likely would say yes.

(I also probably wouldn't tell anyone other than maybe a friend or two, even if they hadn't asked for secrecy.)
Enjoy Eidolon, my free to play game at: https://mutive.itch.io/eidolon, Minion! at: https://mutive.itch.io/minion or Epilogue at: https://mutive.itch.io/epilogue

XBDC36
Regular

#20 Post by XBDC36 »

Mutive wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:45 am As long as you PMed people, it would stay more or less secret. (You could even ask whoever you spoke with not to share details/even that it exists, although I'd be wary of being too "THIS IS THE BIGGEST SECRET EVER" as that sometimes seems a little weird/suspicious.)

Again, I can't say that you'd get a guaranteed response, even if you asked a number of people. But I know that, back in my fandom days, if someone had PMed me and said, "I really love your writing! <<Insert specific things you love>> I'm working on a VN with an artist, but was hoping for another writer to bounce ideas off/edit/write and was hoping you'd be interested!" I'd both be flattered and most likely would say yes.

(I also probably wouldn't tell anyone other than maybe a friend or two, even if they hadn't asked for secrecy.)
That's a good piece of advice! I would actually do the exact same thing too if someone asked me to work with them because they like my writing! Thanks for telling me all of this! Me and the other person working on the project are planning(keyword is planning) to make a website too with some of their art so that people know we really want to make this, like Elsa suggested! (I say planning because it might not be as secret as we wanted, but at least it will get the word out so that people will know we really want to do this and volunteer for help, and also you just added the point of it not being too suspicious and things like that)
I hope my comment makes sense, my thoughts are all over the place, feel free to ask or comment on something that I said that doesn't make sense or you have suggestions for