What kind of people are required for an otome game to be made?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
XBDC36
Regular

What kind of people are required for an otome game to be made?

#1 Post by XBDC36 »

As the title implies, I was wondering what kind of people are needed to make an otome game? I know things like writers, artists, coders(and even then I'm not sure if this is the right term?? People that will actually build the game and make it...you know, exist is what I'm asking for XD), and composers would be needed, but is there anything else?

Me and one other person are trying to make an otome game (none of us having experience in actually making a game, only writing and drawing art) and wanted to expand the team as we have no idea what we're doing (haha) but I needed to know this first before we can actually start asking for said help.

Thanks!

Elsa Kisiel
Regular
Completed: Shieldlock Holmes
Projects: Home Spatial Home

Re: What kind of people are required for an otome game to be made?

#2 Post by Elsa Kisiel »

It kind of depend of your ambitions for the game.

Note: I'm listing jobs, but some of them are often done by the same person. Some ressources can also be found for free use, some things can be done by yourself, ... And some jobs are not necessary for some projects. Just pick whatever fit your project and your team.
Note N°2: If you and your friend just want to make a first game, I would suggest doing it with just the two of you at first. And choose a little project. So you see by yourself what you two can do and what supplementary features you want for your next project.

► Here's the bare minimum:
-A coder/developer (If you want something basic, renPy is easy to use, even if you have no experience with programmation.)
-A writer

► Here's what's usually expected:

Sound:
-A sound designer
-A composer

Visuals:
-An UI (User Interface) designer (for button, menus, fonts, ...)
-A Logo designer
-An illustrator (Sometimes, different illustrators can be hired: for background, characters, props, or complete illustrations. Or for the rough drawing and then the colorisation.)

► Here's a few more jobs, used (sometimes) for bigger games:

Sound:
-A singer (for an opening clip, or for a song in game, ...)
-Voice actors

Visuals:
-An animator
-A special effect designer (for visuals effect in the game, like special transition)
-A concept artist (If you want a different person than the illustrator to do visual research for your game, like for the character, the colors, the background, ...)

Writing:
-A proofreader
-Translators

► Of course, for commercial project, there's also a lot of jobs involved into promoting and selling the game:

-A tester (It doesn't have to be a member of the team)
-A layer
-An accountant
-A video editor (And maybe a voice actor for the video, or even a photographer/camera man for an interview of the team)
-A social network manager/ contact with fan and press
-A designer for the visuals on your patreon/ulule/kickstarter/tipeee/... and social networks
-If you want a website/online shop, you need someone to set it for you, someone to write the text
-If you sell physical goodies, you'll need someone to design them and someone to print them/make them, and someone to take pictures of the finished products.
-If you want your project to be shown and sold in convention, someone will have to do it

Once again, unless you have a extraordinary budget, you and your fellow team members will do a lot of this stuff yourself, even if it's not your domain. And not all of these jobs are necessary! If it's not a commercial project, and you just want to have fun and experience the making of an otome game, you can do it all by yourself, with your friends.

Hope this list was a tiny little bit useful anyway!
Last edited by Elsa Kisiel on Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

XBDC36
Regular

#3 Post by XBDC36 »

Yes, thank you so much! There are many things I didn't consider, even if it won't be actually be sold for money!
This list is very helpful!
Not very active, but never dead

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

#4 Post by parttimestorier »

The list Elsa posted is great, but I also want to reiterate that it's totally possible to make a game without filling all of those jobs with separate people - especially if it's your first game, and you're starting small with a low budget. It all depends on what the team members you currently have are able to do, and whether you want to have totally original assets throughout your whole game or if you're okay with using some creative commons or royalty-free stuff.

Personally, I have one short game for which I was pretty much the only developer, although of course a lot of other people's contributions were important too. I did the writing and programming with the help of some programming tutorials on here, I purchased some royalty-free art assets, and I used free music and sound effects from places like the creative commons section on here and freesound.org. I needed a few friends to help test the beta too, but all the main development was just me bringing together assets that already existed. I'm working on a bit of a bigger project now, and for that one I commissioned a few artists so that the art can be totally original - you'll likely want at least one character artist and one background artist, maybe more depending on the scale of your project and what those artists can do - but I still used a lot of free assets for music and sound and GUI design as well. Doing something like that is probably a lot easier to start with than trying to put a huge team together for a big commercial project.
ImageImageImage

XBDC36
Regular

#5 Post by XBDC36 »

parttimestorier wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:06 pm The list Elsa posted is great, but I also want to reiterate that it's totally possible to make a game without filling all of those jobs with separate people - especially if it's your first game, and you're starting small with a low budget. It all depends on what the team members you currently have are able to do, and whether you want to have totally original assets throughout your whole game or if you're okay with using some creative commons or royalty-free stuff.

Personally, I have one short game for which I was pretty much the only developer, although of course a lot of other people's contributions were important too. I did the writing and programming with the help of some programming tutorials on here, I purchased some royalty-free art assets, and I used free music and sound effects from places like the creative commons section on here and freesound.org. I needed a few friends to help test the beta too, but all the main development was just me bringing together assets that already existed. I'm working on a bit of a bigger project now, and for that one I commissioned a few artists so that the art can be totally original - you'll likely want at least one character artist and one background artist, maybe more depending on the scale of your project and what those artists can do - but I still used a lot of free assets for music and sound and GUI design as well. Doing something like that is probably a lot easier to start with than trying to put a huge team together for a big commercial project.
Thank you, I'll keep this in mind

Mutive
Veteran
Completed: Eidolon, Minion!, Love Furever, Epilogue

#6 Post by Mutive »

Yeah, I've been able to (solo) create a number of free games using cc art and music assets. (I can't draw and my composition skills are not extraordinary.)

You do have to be flexible, since you're limited by what you can find online (vs. what you might want in a best case scenario). But if you can be flexible, you can do a phenomenal amount with stuff that's free to use.

Ren'py is also fairly easy to do basic programming in. So while it *can* get complicated, you can also learn enough (even without a programing background) to tell a pretty decent story. (Of course, since it uses Python, you can literally do *anything* with it, although I'd probably recommend Unity if you're planning to, say, create a FPS.)
Enjoy Eidolon, my free to play game at: https://mutive.itch.io/eidolon, Minion! at: https://mutive.itch.io/minion or Epilogue at: https://mutive.itch.io/epilogue

XBDC36
Regular

#7 Post by XBDC36 »

Mutive wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:10 am Yeah, I've been able to (solo) create a number of free games using cc art and music assets. (I can't draw and my composition skills are not extraordinary.)

You do have to be flexible, since you're limited by what you can find online (vs. what you might want in a best case scenario). But if you can be flexible, you can do a phenomenal amount with stuff that's free to use.

Ren'py is also fairly easy to do basic programming in. So while it *can* get complicated, you can also learn enough (even without a programing background) to tell a pretty decent story. (Of course, since it uses Python, you can literally do *anything* with it, although I'd probably recommend Unity if you're planning to, say, create a FPS.)
Of course! If you aren't a professional game maker and you're only just starting out, you have to be willing to take what you can get to get your project made! That's some good advice for others to know as well!

Mutive
Veteran

#8 Post by Mutive »

XBDC36 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:53 am
Of course! If you aren't a professional game maker and you're only just starting out, you have to be willing to take what you can get to get your project made! That's some good advice for others to know as well!
There are a TON of assets out there, too! Backgrounds, music, sprites, animations, sample code, sets that can be turned into backgrounds...

Unless your project has a huge budget, you almost HAVE to use some cc assets (because even if someone is able to spend a few thousand on sprites and CGs, most VNs don't have the hundred thousand dollar budget that would allow a full team of composers, GUI designers, sprite artists, background designers, etc. etc. And even if they did, most don't earn that much...)

Also, I think that even if someone's ultimate goal is to have custom everything, cc assets can be super helpful in creating a demo. For one, I'd be hesitant to sign up for spending hours (tens of hours? Hundreds of hours? Unsure...I am SO not an artist.) creating a GUI if I didn't believe that the person programming the game knew how to integrate one properly. I'd probably feel the same about creating sprites, animations, etc. (Clearly this is different if you're paying everyone by the hour, but if you're either only offering credit or a share of revenues...)

Even a wonky demo can show a proof of concept, demonstrate commitment to the project, and give artists/composers/writers/programmers a reason to get involved.
Enjoy Eidolon, my free to play game at: https://mutive.itch.io/eidolon, Minion! at: https://mutive.itch.io/minion or Epilogue at: https://mutive.itch.io/epilogue

XBDC36
Regular

#9 Post by XBDC36 »

Mutive wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:36 pm
XBDC36 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:53 am
There are a TON of assets out there, too! Backgrounds, music, sprites, animations, sample code, sets that can be turned into backgrounds...

Unless your project has a huge budget, you almost HAVE to use some cc assets (because even if someone is able to spend a few thousand on sprites and CGs, most VNs don't have the hundred thousand dollar budget that would allow a full team of composers, GUI designers, sprite artists, background designers, etc. etc. And even if they did, most don't earn that much...)

Also, I think that even if someone's ultimate goal is to have custom everything, cc assets can be super helpful in creating a demo. For one, I'd be hesitant to sign up for spending hours (tens of hours? Hundreds of hours? Unsure...I am SO not an artist.) creating a GUI if I didn't believe that the person programming the game knew how to integrate one properly. I'd probably feel the same about creating sprites, animations, etc. (Clearly this is different if you're paying everyone by the hour, but if you're either only offering credit or a share of revenues...)

Even a wonky demo can show a proof of concept, demonstrate commitment to the project, and give artists/composers/writers/programmers a reason to get involved.
So, (since I'm trying to make my own game, but I'm going to be honest it hasn't really been going that well because I can't find any writing volunteers besides myself and me and the other person I'm working with are a bit stuck in that department(though the other person is more of an artist, but they're good at suggesting ideas)) you're saying that if I were to make some kind of demo, people might be more interested into coming to work on the project? I mean, I guess it makes sense. I normally think of "Watashi No Mono"; the developer had a demo (whether he did it himself or with help, I'm not sure), but had to pause the project because there weren't enough volunteers but now people are commenting on their blog how they want to help because they've seen the game, and I think that that's because of the demo. Do you think the same case could be for us?

Elsa Kisiel
Regular

#10 Post by Elsa Kisiel »

1) Having a demo make it easier to recruit people because:
- It prove you're serious about this project and know how to make a game
- It can help explaining your game concept better than with a text

2) Having a demo interesting, standing out from others AND well promoted make it easier because:
- It could gather interest from volonteers
- It could gather interest from players and people might be convinced more easily to invest their time if there's already an audience.

Note: The 2) is difficult to achieve. You'll need to spend time on promoting your demo and you need your demo to already be interesting enough using your current resources/ free to use resources. It will help if you already have a following on social media...?

For the 1), having a first game finished, even if it's a short one, can help to prove you're serious too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, you'll also have to keep in mind that I can't gave the same advice for different projects. It would be easier if you answered theses questions. Then, I would be able to give you more precise advices.

- What are you trying to achieve with that project?
ex: Having fun and acquiring experience with a first game

- What would gain the people who join your team?
ex: Having fun and acquiring experience

- What are your ambition for this project?
ex: Free short game (less than one hour) with basic programming

-What are the skills your team already have?
ex: Art

-What are the skills your team don't have but need, because it have to be in the game?
ex: Writing

-What make your project stand out from others?
ex: nothing

-Would you be against joining a project instead of making your own?
ex: Yes, because [reason]

XBDC36
Regular

#11 Post by XBDC36 »

Elsa Kisiel wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:34 am 1) Having a demo make it easier to recruit people because:
- It prove you're serious about this project and know how to make a game
- It can help explaining your game concept better than with a text

2) Having a demo interesting, standing out from others AND well promoted make it easier because:
- It could gather interest from volonteers
- It could gather interest from players and people might be convinced more easily to invest their time if there's already an audience.

Note: The 2) is difficult to achieve. You'll need to spend time on promoting your demo and you need your demo to already be interesting enough using your current resources/ free to use resources. It will help if you already have a following on social media...?

For the 1), having a first game finished, even if it's a short one, can help to prove you're serious too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, you'll also have to keep in mind that I can't gave the same advice for different projects. It would be easier if you answered theses questions. Then, I would be able to give you more precise advices.

- What are you trying to achieve with that project?
ex: Having fun and acquiring experience with a first game

- What would gain the people who join your team?
ex: Having fun and acquiring experience

- What are your ambition for this project?
ex: Free short game (less than one hour) with basic programming

-What are the skills your team already have?
ex: Art

-What are the skills your team don't have but need, because it have to be in the game?
ex: Writing

-What make your project stand out from others?
ex: nothing

-Would you be against joining a project instead of making your own?
ex: Yes, because [reason]
Alright, I'll try to answer as best as I can!

What are you trying to achieve with that project?
I've always liked games and writing is a hobby of mine and I mostly write about romance, and I really think it would be fun to combine the two into an otome game. It's like trying a new thing. But most of all, I just want to be creative and give back to the community that this game is aimed for, and hopefully inspire new players that haven't played the original games to go and check them out and join the community.

What would gain the people who join your team?
I think that they'd gain some experience from making a game, as well as being able to express their creativity like me and the other person are trying to do. It's mostly just what you said in your example.

What are your ambition for this project?
Essentially what you put in your example. I'm not sure if it will go up to an hour, I have no idea how to time that, but that it will be short, for sure.

What are the skills your team already have?
I'm a writer, and the other person is an artist(though they're good at suggesting ideas for a scenario). That's pretty much it.

What make your project stand out from others?
Even though it's a fan-game, I think that the very concept of having a romance story set in that world is very unique in its self, as there are not many (if at all) otome games that take place in that kind of world. Not to mention that we want to twist the story to make our own original plot, so it will be totally new than the original game.

What are the skills your team don't have, but need, because it have to be in the game?
We want another/more writer(s) as we are struggling a bit with connecting all of the dots on our plot and also need some more ideas. Coder(s) and composer(s), as we were advised not to use the original music from the real game.

What makes your project stand out from others?
There have been a lot of fan-games from this company, but to my knowledge none of them have been an otome game, as others were remakes/remasters/rebuilds of games that already existed. Also, I'd say the same things in the what make your project stand out from others? question.

Would you be against joining a project instead of making your own?
I'd say yes because nobody else is going to make this type of game any time soon. Of course, I'm not saying that our game is going to blow up the internet by any means, I'm also not saying I would complain if that was the case, but we're not really aiming for that, and I'm definitely not saying that it's going to be perfect either. I'm also not saying that I would never join other people's projects in the future, I'm just keeping my own project in mind when I say this.

I hope that I answered your questions well, and I'm really happy that you want to help and give out advice! Another thing I want to add on is that we might have enough writing to make a really small demo, even if it might be a bit wonky like Mutive said, and I've been eyeing a programmer that said they want to volunteer for anything, but I haven't contacted them yet because I've been asking these questions about if making a demo might get people interested in working on the project, both to Mutive and now you. :)

Elsa Kisiel
Regular

#12 Post by Elsa Kisiel »

Thank you for answering! So... I might say things you already know, but here's a few advices:

1) I see that you say it's a fan-game. It might be more difficult to recruit people who aren't fan of the original licence. However, you might find help (perhaps not with the coding, but with the writing) in fan communities, even if they are not familiar with visuals novels. Have you already tried to reach out theses fans? (With # on social media, or on forum/discords/groups dedicated to the original licence?) I think it would be better if the writer was a fan of the licence too, as they would need to know about the characters/universe/...

2) When you post about your project, make sure to say clearly which jobs are still missing (help with writing, coding, music) and make sure to specify the amount of work needed (a short game so, not that much?) and the fact that it's not a paid job. Also, put one or two of your friend's drawings. It doesn't have to be drawings made for the project, even if it would be better. People might be more willing to join a project if they like the art. Try to also give a very well written resume of the story, perhaps even an extract? Make sure that "how your game stand out" is clear in your presentation, to make clear what kind of universe this is about, and why it's original to have a romance story in it. And of course, don't forget to precise it's a fan-game (and what is the original licence).

3) If you already have a potential programmer, it's great, but if it doesn't work out, remember that you can also do it yourself. There's a lot of tutorials and resources in renPy to create otome games and people here are always happy to help with a specific problem, so, if you are stuck, you will certainly found help. But if you already have someone, that's better! (I'm not sure a demo would be necessary for a programmer, since they will be the one doing the coding in the end, but a few pieces of art, a summary and an extract will certainly help.)

4) A composer would be a great +, but there's a lot of free to use music out there. As for using the original game's music... You might want to check what's the licence's owner position about fan-games. Perhaps they would be alright with a non-commercial fan-game using it.

I hope it helps!

Mutive
Veteran

#13 Post by Mutive »

I haven't been super active in fan communities for a bit, but I'd agree with Elsa as far as reaching out specifically to people within that community. Fanfiction.net or AO3 typically has a number of fan fiction writers who you can directly contact. I'd probably PM them, explain the game, maybe share whatever you have in demo form on something free like itch.io or a Google folder (or at least have it ready to share - again, any assets you have make this seem more like a Real Thing rather than a fantasy that will never materialize).

My guess is that you'll find interest. There are a number of people wiling to beta even really awful stories, and I'd guess there'd be a lot of interest in a game (especially one that's fun, unique and directed at a community they've already been involved in).

XBDC36
Regular

#14 Post by XBDC36 »

Elsa Kisiel wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:50 am Thank you for answering! So... I might say things you already know, but here's a few advices:

1) I see that you say it's a fan-game. It might be more difficult to recruit people who aren't fan of the original licence. However, you might find help (perhaps not with the coding, but with the writing) in fan communities, even if they are not familiar with visuals novels. Have you already tried to reach out theses fans? (With # on social media, or on forum/discords/groups dedicated to the original licence?) I think it would be better if the writer was a fan of the licence too, as they would need to know about the characters/universe/...

2) When you post about your project, make sure to say clearly which jobs are still missing (help with writing, coding, music) and make sure to specify the amount of work needed (a short game so, not that much?) and the fact that it's not a paid job. Also, put one or two of your friend's drawings. It doesn't have to be drawings made for the project, even if it would be better. People might be more willing to join a project if they like the art. Try to also give a very well written resume of the story, perhaps even an extract? Make sure that "how your game stand out" is clear in your presentation, to make clear what kind of universe this is about, and why it's original to have a romance story in it. And of course, don't forget to precise it's a fan-game (and what is the original licence).

3) If you already have a potential programmer, it's great, but if it doesn't work out, remember that you can also do it yourself. There's a lot of tutorials and resources in renPy to create otome games and people here are always happy to help with a specific problem, so, if you are stuck, you will certainly found help. But if you already have someone, that's better! (I'm not sure a demo would be necessary for a programmer, since they will be the one doing the coding in the end, but a few pieces of art, a summary and an extract will certainly help.)

4) A composer would be a great +, but there's a lot of free to use music out there. As for using the original game's music... You might want to check what's the licence's owner position about fan-games. Perhaps they would be alright with a non-commercial fan-game using it.

I hope it helps!
Thanks! I'll be sure to contact that volunteer programmer if things keep going as they are! Thanks your advice, I was starting to lose hope a bit but I'm feeling a bit better about it now!

XBDC36
Regular

#15 Post by XBDC36 »

Mutive wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:27 am I haven't been super active in fan communities for a bit, but I'd agree with Elsa as far as reaching out specifically to people within that community. Fanfiction.net or AO3 typically has a number of fan fiction writers who you can directly contact. I'd probably PM them, explain the game, maybe share whatever you have in demo form on something free like itch.io or a Google folder (or at least have it ready to share - again, any assets you have make this seem more like a Real Thing rather than a fantasy that will never materialize).

My guess is that you'll find interest. There are a number of people wiling to beta even really awful stories, and I'd guess there'd be a lot of interest in a game (especially one that's fun, unique and directed at a community they've already been involved in).
I guess that could also be an option. Me and the other person wanted to keep this a secret so that it would be a surprise to the community. Maybe that's still possible, but of course I'm willing to ask for help from the actual community if keeping it a secret doesn't go anywhere.