"living in Communist country - the simulation game"

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

"living in Communist country - the simulation game"

#1 Post by Der Tor »

I read Papillon's post about the "branching story contest, cash prizes".

Normally i would never participate - cause i neither have the skill to win nor the time nor would i care. But since the contest involves things like human rights and crimes against humanity as topics - i feel like i must not ignore it. (cause i have friends who have been severely persecuted in Chinese labor camps).

So i just feel i have to do something even if i probably have no chance of winning - it just wouldn't be right for me to have made a visual novel about a fairy tale but ignore it when a topic like this comes up. So i was thinking a lot about how i could make a visual novel that is funny (as that also seems to be one of the requirements) but still addresses such serious topics in a serious manner. And i think i came up with a way. As I already said i wanna make a game which puts the player in a communist country and shows him what that is like. I will use humor but i still wanna use it to raise awareness about human rights abuses in countries like China and make the player understand how they came about and how to help stop them.

That is my wish - but as there is little time left till the deadline i don't know if i can make it. So i would be glad for any help i could get and hope that some of you guys will want to join me. And of course in the (unlikely) event that the project wins i would share the prize with anyone who participates.

So what you guys think? Anyone with me?

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

Re: "living in Communist country - the simulation game"

#2 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Your plea touched me ... I can very probably help you with backgrounds or sprites, if your needs overlap my own. I have a wide variet of game locations in my own. And, if I do something different for you, I can probably use it still since I have large amount of scene BG.

A lot of games also use filtered photographs with very little shame, it's almost become a convention.

I've provided examples of both.
apartmentplaceholder.JPG
complexnight.jpg
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Der Tor »

Yes i definitely need some BG art. I think your complexnight one looks particularly good and atmospheric. This might already be one that could be used. And if you say you have a large collection i am sure there is more stuff that would fit - so there is no need to make something new. I will get in touch with you.

this_barb
Regular

#4 Post by this_barb »

I hope you actually have experience living in a communist country or know someone who does.

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Wintermoon »

I think you mean "fascist", because there's nothing communist about the current Chinese government.

lunasspecto
Regular
Location: USA: New York City (school) and Massachusetts (home)

#6 Post by lunasspecto »

Governments calling themselves "Communist" have distorted the term so much that it has hardly any coherent meaning these days.
from the virtual desk of Kazuki Mishima

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Hey, do you have a link to the contest?

Also, what's the human aspect of your story and what will they be doing? Where's the location set at? Is it going to be in the present or are these past events?
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Der Tor »

Hi guys...

sorry for not reporting on my progress... i HAVE made progress although i am still far, far from finished.
I know that the people in power in China are merely using the Communist Party to maintain their power and that they actually don't have any principles other than maintaining their power at all cost.

So i agree with your suggestions and have altered my original intention of doing something about Communism to doing a more personal story that focuses more on human rights violations and my personal experiences than on Communism itself. I even changed the title... the new title will be "There is always a choice" and i will make a post about it under "works in progress" shortly.

@JinzouTamashii: i will write you a PM - since the deadline is drawing ever closer i can use any help i can get.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by JinzouTamashii »

I proofread your work some. If you want to finish by the deadline, you'll need to hurry on the writing and coding the paths. Multilinear is very taxing.