[Question] How do I go about selecting a background artist?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
GammaBreak
Regular

[Question] How do I go about selecting a background artist?

#1 Post by GammaBreak »

I'm fairly new to the visual novel creation process, but am working on my first project. Right now, I'm in the phase of trying to find artists I like to eventually go to once my script is done and ready for assets, which isn't going to be a for a whie.

But a question crossed my mind: let's say an artist does great sprites I like, but not backgrounds. What's the general consensus on picking a background artist to go with sprites?

Elsa Kisiel
Regular
Completed: Shieldlock Holmes
Projects: Home Spatial Home

Re: [Question] How do I go about selecting a background artist?

#2 Post by Elsa Kisiel »

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking where to look for a background artist, or what kind of criteria you should take into account when recruiting?
Illustrator • Commission open: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=59346 • My portfolio: https://elsakisiel.artstation.com/

Take a cup of tea and let yourself be charmed by my stories and my drawings. Here, everything is bewitched and bewitching!

GammaBreak
Regular

#3 Post by GammaBreak »

Let's say I find an artist I really like that does sprites, but absolutely 100% will not do backgrounds. So I would need to go to a different artist for backgrounds.

My question is overall, what am I looking for when pairing sprites with backgrounds if they are from different artists? Like for example, I've seen an artist I really like that is within my budget that does backgrounds, but not sprites. So is it smart to just get him to do the backgrounds if I like them, or should I wait until the character sprites are done?

Elsa Kisiel
Regular
Completed: Shieldlock Holmes
Projects: Home Spatial Home

#4 Post by Elsa Kisiel »

Well... If you have a sprite artist but the sprites aren't done yet, I see three way to proceed:

-If the sprites are going to be in the usual style of the sprite artist, the price artist's portfolio should be enough reference.

-You can also contact the background artist and ask if they will be available later, when the sprites will be finished.

-If you have the budget for it, you can also ask for stylistic research from both artists. A few variant of concept art, coloring style, lightning style... But research often cost a lot because it takes a lot of time, and can't be used directly in the game. I would advice it for bigger productions only.
Illustrator • Commission open: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=59346 • My portfolio: https://elsakisiel.artstation.com/

Take a cup of tea and let yourself be charmed by my stories and my drawings. Here, everything is bewitched and bewitching!

GammaBreak
Regular

#5 Post by GammaBreak »

Okay, thanks. My biggest fear is that I'm going to get some sprites that I really like, then be at a loss for a background artist because I don't know what I'm doing.